Black Mulberry

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
So this “weed” in my front yard, kept growing to the point where I finally bothered to use PlantNet on it, and it identified it as a Black Mulberry. I’ve seen from other threads on here there are fruiting varieties and non-fruit varieties.

Does anyone know enough about them to be able to tell at this stage what it’s going to be? It’s in my front yard so not worried about it littering berries on a Tortoise but I’m assuming I can give its leaves without issue…

It’s pretty close to my neighbors driveway so I’m not sure it will work out long term if it drops berries…

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Yes I did a number of photos on PlantNet, all said black mulberry…

Attachments

• IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Never heard any i.d.'d as 'black.' Only fruitless and white. But I guess if there's a 'white' it's resonable to assume there would be a 'black.'
If that's what it is, it's a fast growing , wonderful shade tree, and edible!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
. . . and it's NOT fruitless, and it's quite messy.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have one of those growing in the front yard and I've never seen any berries on it. I wasn't sure what kind of tree it was until someone told me it was a mulberry. All my other mulberry trees are white mulberry trees that if given the chance would produce berries that's why I cut them way back during winter. New growth doesn't produce berries.