Mulberry tree

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Manassas,VA
So there's a large mulberry tree in the yard behind the tortoise enclosure that drops berries, now that I know fruit is bad do I need to be worried about them eating these? I can try to rake them but the birds are up in the trees making it difficult to keep up.

drew54

Indiana
If your tort is not a fruit eating species then I would block access to the fruit as best as you can. The leaves are fine though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mulberry leaves are great tortoise food, but they should not have access to the fruit. The sugars in the fruit can wreak havoc on their GI tract.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
OK so here's the problem, the tree is directly above as you can see. What type of screen would you suggest. We are planning on having the one hanging over cut but it will be awhile since it is not in our yard. I can certainly rake up what I see but the birds cause them to fall. 20190609_071312_HDR.jpeg20190609_071319.jpeg

Relic

Here
The best option would seem to be relocating the enclosure away from the tree. It looks like new construction and relatively easy to move. But perhaps there is no other suitable location...? Option 2 would be to erect a roof structure over the portion of the enclosure where the berries fall - with a metal top sloped back towards the mulberry tree, putting all the berries back in the yard they came from. Option 3 sounds like a constant chore: raking up the berries for as long as they drop, hoping you get them all before the tort does. Option 4 would be getting a red or yellowfoot tort(s) that handle fruit well. Option 5...well, maybe switch your husbandry hobby to parakeets?

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
I just purchased a 1/4" bird netting that I plan to cover the enclosure with at an angle to like your option 2 suggested. I have no better place to put them. I'm hoping it works. Once all the berries fall I can remove it so they can have the leaves.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Forum member @Turtulas-Len taught me that if you prune the treee WAY back in the fall after the leaves have dropped there won't be any berries next year.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Tree is not on your property? If so cut the branches back to your property line. Easy peasy.

Kalbrecht

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Manassas,VA
Tree is not on your property? If so cut the branches back to your property line. Easy peasy.
Yes we are planning on it but its way up there and we need to get permission. I cut back what I could reach but there's still so much. They're so overgrown. Ugh