Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They also grow VERY WELL from the seeds in the berries. I used to have a fruited mulberry tree and there were little mulberry trees sprouting up all over my property.

I'm not real sure if a tree grown from a cutting would remain true to type or if it would revert to a berry tree.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Does anyone have seeds for sale?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Well the branches are what produce the berries, and the cuttings are part of the branch, so I think it would stay the same.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well I wonder if it works like dwarf trees, if you take a cutting from a dwarf fruit tree, it does not grow dwarf trees, it will grow regular size trees, since the fruit trees are grafted onto dwarf stock.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And I THOUGHT that mulberry trees were grafted to get rid of the berries, I'm not sure, though.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
dmmj said:
Hey tom do you think you could PM me the instructions on how to do the cuttings? I would like to give it a try.

Its a mulberry thread. I'll just post it here.:)
There is an area near the end of each small branch that you need to find. Not the new green growth all the way out at the end, but not the barky older growth toward the other end either. You need to make a 45 degree cut in between these two points, on the smoothish, brownish portion of the branch. Then you dip the fresh cut end into your rooting hormone and stick the end into a pre-made hole in your pot of pre-dampened potting soil. You should then tie it off to a support stick stuck deep in the pot, so it doesn't move too much.

As I said though, it never worked for me, so maybe there is more to it. Probably best to go to a local nursery and ask them to show you first hand.

teq1

5 Year Member
Texas
emysemys said:
They also grow VERY WELL from the seeds in the berries. I used to have a fruited mulberry tree and there were little mulberry trees sprouting up all over my property.

I'm not real sure if a tree grown from a cutting would remain true to type or if it would revert to a berry tree.

I never thought of using the seeds from the actual mulberrys. I have no common sense :rolleyes: lol. My mom actually bought some the other day so I will try to plant the seeds. I would still like to buy the tree though :cool:.

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
For what its worth, you do not want a fruiting mulberry tree unless you plan to plant it on a farm away from your home. If not then your asking for rats/mice/birds/raccoons and everything else to make a visit on top of the fruit will stain everything it lands on. Get either a fruitless white mulberry or one of the dwarfs. One will grow into a massive tree the other will stay in line with pruning. The dwarf has a downward growing nature. So the torts can always reach new leaves and have a nice shaded area under the canopy. Making it very tort friendly in outdoor pins.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
emysemys said:
And I THOUGHT that mulberry trees were grafted to get rid of the berries, I'm not sure, though.

Just so you know I wasn't being sarcastic, lol.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
My neighbor has a mulberry tree (though not fruitless unfortunately) and I would cry tears of joy if I could use that as a food source for Nelson...but I'm almost positive they spray it :(
There's also another tree on a road near my house. It's in the woods on abandoned property so I KNOW it's not being sprayed...but I'm afraid it's too close to the road- exhaust fumes, etc.

I actually had the same question a few days ago and almost posted about it :D

eta: Oo I just remembered the neighborhood next to mine has a mulberry tree growing in the middle of their cul de sac... I still don't know if they spray it though, bummer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Katie, I wouldn't worry about the exhaust fumes in a tree next to a road. You could always rinse or soak the leaves before you fed them out.

What is everybody spraying the trees with out there in IL?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ChiKat said:
My neighbor has a mulberry tree (though not fruitless unfortunately) and I would cry tears of joy if I could use that as a food source for Nelson...but I'm almost positive they spray it :(
There's also another tree on a road near my house. It's in the woods on abandoned property so I KNOW it's not being sprayed...but I'm afraid it's too close to the road- exhaust fumes, etc.

I actually had the same question a few days ago and almost posted about it :D

eta: Oo I just remembered the neighborhood next to mine has a mulberry tree growing in the middle of their cul de sac... I still don't know if they spray it though, bummer.

Never hurts to ask. Plus if they do spray it, they may after knowing you could use the leaves, stop spraying. Which down the road aways, could give you a great food supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.