Black Spot on Mouth

HopperNoHopping

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Hey everyone! So I’ve been a lurker on this forum for a long time, but recently I’ve had a bit of a conundrum and I’m not exactly sure whether I should go to the vet (and pay a lot of money for very possibly nothing), so I came here to ask you guys what I should do.
Basically, I recently noticed a black patch on the mouth of my Florida Box Turtle. The problem is, I don’t know whether that’s normal or not, because my dad has been taking care of her for a while since I’ve been busy with school. However, I’m pretty sure the spot wasn’t there before when I last did a thorough inspection of her a few weeks ago.
Is this a problem? Should I do anything about it?

430000DA-7090-4D6F-B33F-94957AB6B876.jpeg

HopperNoHopping

Illinois
Maybe you could bring attention to exactly the black spot you are talking about, all I see is food particles stuck to the beak.
Yes, I think we're talking about the same thing. You think the black patch on the beak is just food particles, correct?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Yeah, it could be plant stain. Sometimes the beaks on some tortoises look like they have been to some sort of 'goth' party. Keep a watch and see if it changes over a few days. Maybe a somewhat longer soak. If you are still worried and don't want to wait few days, you could try using a q-tip and rub that place and see it anything dislodges or changes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like food to me too, but remember, we're looking at a picture while you're seeing it in real time. I'm a great fan of picking. I'd pick at it and see if it comes off.

drew54

Indiana
My hatchlings beak had black stains around its mouth for a week and then it finally went away after regular soaks and a proper diet.