Bladder stone surgery recovery

Orion

Location (City and/or State)
Long Beach, CA
My CA desert tortoise is having an 8.5 cm bladder stone removed next week. We only recently adopted him, so he has had this a long time. Does anyone have experience with what to expect during recovery after the surgery? He is a rescue so not sure of his age, but probably around 60 years old. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Sorry to hear this. Possibly @Yvonne G csn help. I don't know if she's had to go through this, but does a lot of rescues and has had to rehab a few.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They recover just fine. Just be sure to run clear through to the end of all the medication they send home with you. Also, be sure he's totally awake from the anesthesia before you bring him home.

Orion

Long Beach, CA
They recover just fine. Just be sure to run clear through to the end of all the medication they send home with you. Also, be sure he's totally awake from the anesthesia before you bring him home.
Thank you Yvonne - you put my mind at ease. He will be having the surgery and staying at the vet for one week for care and observation.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
just stumbled on this, its pretty cool what they can do
Great video. Thanks for posting it. I wonder what happens to the fiberglass and epoxy as the tort grows and what would happen if it were done on a male whos plastron hadn't yet concaved.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My CA desert tortoise is having an 8.5 cm bladder stone removed next week. We only recently adopted him, so he has had this a long time. Does anyone have experience with what to expect during recovery after the surgery? He is a rescue so not sure of his age, but probably around 60 years old. Thank you!

How was it determined to be a bladder stone?

Orion

Long Beach, CA
Another question - he had the surgery almost 1 month ago and is still very lethargic - he will even fall asleep in the middle of eating. Is this typical? His usual personality is very energetic. I am going to bring him to vet next week, but thought you may have some insight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He may have an infection. Best to have him checked out right away.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
I think you are a kind soul to take in an older rescue and then go forward to fix an expensive problem that preexisted. Please let us know what the vet says, and let us know how your tort is doing in the coming weeks.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Another question - he had the surgery almost 1 month ago and is still very lethargic - he will even fall asleep in the middle of eating. Is this typical? His usual personality is very energetic. I am going to bring him to vet next week, but thought you may have some insight.

So what is the outcome to date? may we see a pic of the torts face as well as the legs?

Orion

Long Beach, CA
Orion went to the vet yesterday and got fluids, vitamin B shot, meds for constipation and his blood work done. Vet just called and he is fighting an infection, so will be picking up antibiotics that he will get daily for 3 weeks. He said he should be feeling better soon, which is a huge relief. Vet also said tortoises who have this surgery usually take a month to recover. Pic is at the vet yesterday.E19FB7FD-00EB-430C-A657-3147DB1F2AB7.jpeg