Surgery for Bladder Stone

fiber

Hi,

Please need info about how the chance of successful operation of bladder stone for sulcata. Today we took our Sulcata, named Dexter, she is 40 cm with 20 kg, to the vet for x-ray, and the result is there bladder stone and need to do surgery, so tomorrow will do the surgery if Dex is getting better ( cos today Dex looked weak, don't want to eat, and water keep coming from her nose, that's why we took her to the vet and found out)
We're so worried if the surgery don't go well...
And if it goes well, anyone knows how take care the sulcata after surgery?
Thank's a lot (really need any advise)

Meganolvt

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
I'm interested to know how the surgery goes, please give us an update after. My yellowfoot also has bladder stones and may some day need surgery. I am a vet tech but in my 14 years I have never had a tortoise bladder surgery patient or even seen the surgery. I do know that post-op care is for a long time, they take forever to heal. Here is a picture of my tort and his lovely bladder stones.2015-12-18 19.18.02.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You and your tortoise are very lucky that you discovered the bladder stone and your vet knows how to do the surgery. Quite a few tortoises just wither away and die because they have an undiagnosed stone. I'm still of the mind that Meganolvt's tortoise has eaten little rocks, and it is NOT a bladder stone and I'd be willing to bet if you compared your tortoise's x-ray with the one above you'll see quite a difference. A bladder stone is one large stone, not a bunch of little rocks.

Your vet will give you the post op advice you need. Just baby him and make sure he stays hydrated. (the tortoise, not the vet)

Last edited:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Looks like rocks in the small intestine. I'm in agreement w/ Yvonne. Usually one large stone, not multiple. There are a lot of jagged edges which would more likely be rocks. Barium study would be a big help. If it is the bladder there will be no barium in it.

fiber

Dear All,

Thank's for advise...
But I'm so sad that this morning the hospital gave me bad news that my dear Dex can't hold it, she's passed away this morning before the surgery happen, I feel so regret...here is the story about Dex (sorry if it's too long)
It has been weeks that I noticed something wrong with Dex, everyday she pissed many times and just little, but she looked so fine, still eating good, poop is still normal and still active.

I kept telling the vet about it, he said maybe because the weather change, till 2 days ago I couldn't stand it, I took Dex to the vet (even in clinic Dex was still fine, eating etc, like nothing wrong with her) the vet did the observation by putting something like stick inside her (sorry) bottom, he said no bladder stone. Then I brought Dex home, but she looked trauma, in the night she made noise like crying, in the next morning she didn't want to eat, she was weak, water kept came out from her mouth & nose. I told it to the vet, he suggested me to do the x-ray, then I directly did.
The x-ray showed the bladder stone, it's big...oh my God....poor Dexter feel the pain for so long without giving me any sign that she suffered.
This time I took Dex in hospital, the vet there suggested surgery, I said yes do it please..the surgery is today, but early morning they found Dex passed away...I was so shocked I thought she can survive, I'm so regret why I didn't do the x-ray when I bought her 3 years ago.

3 years ago I met Dex in pet shop, almost every month I visited that shop, maybe till a year Dex was still there with very poor condition, the pet shop owner told me nobody wanted to buy Dex cos she's not perfect, pyramiding, flu etc, I felt sorry for Dex then I just bought her trying to help Dex
I brought her to the vet to get medicine for her flu, then for 3 years I have never missed a single day without soaking her, I wouldn't take her out till I saw her poop & the white thing. She was so happy with us, eating a lot and did many messing around in the house (I think I'll miss it)
I can't stop this tears, oh my Dex I'm so sorry to let you suffer, I lose you, but now you're not in pain anymore, and the memory of you with always stay in me, I'll miss the chaos you made everyday when I arrived home from work you moved my table,or anything, break my flower pots, found you poop all over the floor, and following me behind when I did moping your poop. Love you my dear Dex
Here is some photos of the x-ray and thank you for reading it, apology if it's too long.

20160612_100815.jpg 20160612_100859.jpg 20160612_100901.jpg 20160612_105854.jpg 20160612_110037.jpg 20160612_110101.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

fiber

Here is the photo of Dex first day I just brought her home from pet shop

IMG_4682.JPG IMG_4683.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Aw, darn it Fiber. I'm so very sorry Dex didn't make it. She was a beautiful tortoise and I love that little extra scute on her carapace. The pictures with the flowers is a very nice remembrance. This is just too sad.

fiber

Aw, darn it Fiber. I'm so very sorry Dex didn't make it. She was a beautiful tortoise and I love that little extra scute on her carapace. The pictures with the flowers is a very nice remembrance. This is just too sad.

Thank you Yvonne, for me she is very beautiful even nobody like her in pet shop 3 years ago
I don't bury her, this afternoon I took her for making her body not rotting, so that she can stay forever at my house, can see her everyday.
They opened the body tonight, I'll update the photo of the bladder stone tomorrow.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Dear All,

Thank's for advise...
But I'm so sad that this morning the hospital gave me bad news that my dear Dex can't hold it, she's passed away this morning before the surgery happen, I feel so regret...here is the story about Dex (sorry if it's too long)
It has been weeks that I noticed something wrong with Dex, everyday she pissed many times and just little, but she looked so fine, still eating good, poop is still normal and still active.

I kept telling the vet about it, he said maybe because the weather change, till 2 days ago I couldn't stand it, I took Dex to the vet (even in clinic Dex was still fine, eating etc, like nothing wrong with her) the vet did the observation by putting something like stick inside her (sorry) bottom, he said no bladder stone. Then I brought Dex home, but she looked trauma, in the night she made noise like crying, in the next morning she didn't want to eat, she was weak, water kept came out from her mouth & nose. I told it to the vet, he suggested me to do the x-ray, then I directly did.
The x-ray showed the bladder stone, it's big...oh my God....poor Dexter feel the pain for so long without giving me any sign that she suffered.
This time I took Dex in hospital, the vet there suggested surgery, I said yes do it please..the surgery is today, but early morning they found Dex passed away...I was so shocked I thought she can survive, I'm so regret why I didn't do the x-ray when I bought her 3 years ago.

3 years ago I met Dex in pet shop, almost every month I visited that shop, maybe till a year Dex was still there with very poor condition, the pet shop owner told me nobody wanted to buy Dex cos she's not perfect, pyramiding, flu etc, I felt sorry for Dex then I just bought her trying to help Dex
I brought her to the vet to get medicine for her flu, then for 3 years I have never missed a single day without soaking her, I wouldn't take her out till I saw her poop & the white thing. She was so happy with us, eating a lot and did many messing around in the house (I think I'll miss it)
I can't stop this tears, oh my Dex I'm so sorry to let you suffer, I lose you, but now you're not in pain anymore, and the memory of you with always stay in me, I'll miss the chaos you made everyday when I arrived home from work you moved my table,or anything, break my flower pots, found you poop all over the floor, and following me behind when I did moping your poop. Love you my dear Dex
Here is some photos of the x-ray and thank you for reading it, apology if it's too long.

View attachment 177054 View attachment 177055 View attachment 177056 View attachment 177057 View attachment 177058 View attachment 177059
What a beautiful tribute to a beloved pet! I love how you arranged all the flowers... I too, tend to take those last pictures. I'm from Poland and in our culture deaths are surrounded with lots of ceremonial visuals which help people move through the grieving proces. Please accept my deepest condolences

Kasia

Poland

fiber

Thank you so much for all your support, I really appreciated it. I'm really lucky to have you all in this forum that understand this sadness. Some people don't understand why I'm grieving so much just for a pet. I can't stop this tears....keep trying to tell my self that Dex is now more happy in heaven...oh God I miss her so much

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
please accept my deepest condolences. I wrote a poem called Rainbow Bridge for tortoises do a forum search for it.