Blast's road to recovery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace84

5 Year Member
Hi all, I am new on here as poster but not a reader and am familiar with Tom's amazing threads and also tortoise table. I posted over in intro about the sulcata I rescued this week and just wanted to start a thread for her and myself as we both make this journey together!
As I said before I am fortunate enough to work as a vet tech and with a vet who specializes in reptiles and exotics!
I clocked in only minutes before my first appointment was scheduled to come in & was sad to see it was a 'put to sleep' for a local pet store. An employee came in with a large box taped up and put it on the table. "Sulcata, abandoned by some guy about 2 weeks ago we can't get her to eat much, she's not healthy, can't sell her, no rescues can take her so we just want to euth." Was what she told me. I took her out, looked her over good weighed her - 16lbs. Looked alert but lethargic, pale, dehydrated. I asked her to sit tight & went to talk to doc (who appreciates my intense nerdiness & my serious love for reptiles!) I asked him if he thought it was worth the try, I've seen worse, this seems more like a case of no one wanting responsibility and no good home than something with no quality of life. He said "yup never hurts to try". I went back in with a paper and asked her to sign the tort over to me as the owner! She seemed relieved and signed her over.
I've had her for three days, she began eating 15 minutes after she was scheduled to be euthanized & hasn't stopped since but to sleep and soak! I am realistic but praying for the best! She is home with me in my reptile room snug and warm in a temporary pen setup (what we are calling her intensive care unit) my vet went on vacation and we decided if she was improving by the time he comes back we will run a full exotic blood panel just to make sure she's ok and what her values look like.
For now all she has to do is eat and be a tortoise!ImageUploadedByTortForum1377318874.519475.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377319131.866961.jpg
Day2 grazing and basking outside twice a day for at least an hour or until she's tired.
I have a large garden and she's gotten to enjoy some kale & collards. Lots of dandelion greens!
I am fortunate enough to own my home and me and my neighbors all have gardens and are all pesticide and chemical free. As well as our property. The only fertilizer I use is my established compost.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377319575.623318.jpg
Only day three and we are walking all over the place!
She discovered the front yard with lots of no-no plants I had to keep her from!

Last edited by a moderator:

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Hello and welcome to the Forum. YOU ARE AWESOME ..THANK YOU for helping that poor Sully. Fingers crossed all will be fine. Goodluck to you both.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Absolutely lovely tort....it is amazing what little value our world has to offer one of the earths lovely tenacious creatures....you know, it was meant to be, God---or Fate or whatever folks use to label such encounters...this tort was meant to be in your hands....

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
As I see her sprawled out on the walkway, I couldn't help but smile at her little chunky feet. She's just adorable. Soon she'll be chasing you across the garden.lol

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Since she's finally eating after not eating for 2 weeks, it will be interesting to hear what she weighs in a week and what those blood panels may show. Sure hope it's just good proper care and housing and a little TLC.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Awwww.....Bless her heart!!!!! She is precious!! You have a huge heart !! You gave her a chance and saved her life!! :) :)

Ace84

5 Year Member
Just an update: yesterday she had her first bowel movement and it contained absolutely no feces but instead was whatever wood bedding she must have been kept on. I was so sad to think that at some point she was so hungry that she started eating glorified mulch!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377394684.494001.jpg
Today she had a bowel movement and while there is still wood in it & might be for some time it does look like it is improving!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377394816.006049.jpg
On another note she spent quite a while outside today after her soak and boy is she moving & exploring & eating! I even gave her a treat for the first time! Some rose petals from my garden and a small slice of watermelon!
I spent most of the day re-making a small rehab enclosure for her. I'm almost done & the guy at my local lumber yard was so interested in my "project" that he gave me really nice pressure treated deck wood for making frames for 5$ & wants an update on her soon! :)
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377395288.929894.jpg

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
Grandma here :) That POOR thing!!! I'm so glad that she came to YOU!!! It looks like she has been neglected for a LONG time!!! :(

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats awesome! You got to save this sully and all it needed was some good food and water .

Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm so pleased to see her progress. My Mo is very shy and still very finicky. He likes on,y greens, so I can't give him treats to try to make friends and build trust/confidence.
He's better, but its a very slow progress.

Not sure what Mo was eating before I go him, but after 2 weeks he had a dry and nasty BM and now is active and races around backyard snacking on weeds. I keep a pile of fresh greens in one corner and now he comes begging if his pile is gone and he graces me with his presence at the back sliding glass door.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377403561.247723.jpg

Here's Mo's injured beak

ImageUploadedByTortForum1377403591.867242.jpg

I'm in love with him. He's my buddy now. Spoiled and loved.
I can't wait to read more updates on Blast!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

Ace84

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377816853.842677.jpg
Well I have had blast a.k.a tortellini for 8 days now & she sure feels heavier than she did before! Still eating like a champ! She has a very varied diet and so far hasn't turned down anything! I will try and weigh her soon.
Today I received my shipment from Arizona tort compound, very happy with the price and service!
Now to start planting while she grazes and eats her first prickly pear cactus pad!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
AWWWW... What an amazing story. I'm so glad you gave her a second chance at life. It wasn't her fault that no one wanted her or to take care of her. She was just being herself a tortoise. It is so sad she was so hungry she was eating her bedding. How sad...... I'm so happy she is in your care. Hey maybe she will grow on you and you will give her a forever home & love she has been needing. What a story. I hope she stays strong. I'll be waiting for updates on her :)

mikeh

5 Year Member
Looks like is she on the way to live happy years ahead in your care. And to think she was going to be put to sleep for no reason if you didn't step in. Shame on the pet store. Kudos to you!
How is she getting accustomed to you?

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Ace84

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words!
@ Mikeh - she is doing real well with me so far, she can be shy but she gets curious too! The other day I was taking pics & while she was eating she came up to me and tried to 'taste' my white iPhone!
She loves exploring and will follow the dogs around endlessly.
She is also getting used to my schedule and (I think) the tone of my voice, she will come out of her house when I come in the room to see what if anything I may have for her!
Last but not least when I first had her she wouldn't take food from my hand & now she knows I have goodies!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Wow, bless you for helping this innocent creature!
She is so pyramidal (my android offered that word up!?). Even out the sides! This is all from being raised too dry?

Ann from CT

Ace84

5 Year Member
Yes, and I'm guessing she's never even been soaked before,

Since the first day I met her I have been doing soaks to help with her severe dehydration (her urate was solid!) I put her in the tub & she was desperate to get out, now she seems to enjoy it and relax and take a drink!

Good news though, today was the first day she has been able to fully "stand" on all four feet. She surprised me when she lifted her self up and took a few steps with her plastron off the ground! I almost missed it!

Status
Not open for further replies.