Bloated hatchling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baltimore, Md
Does Oogway look a bit bloated, or am I being paranoid? Thanks in advance guys :)

image-2606430068.png

image-2566938984.png

image-3131947969.png

Attachments

• image-1481230508.png
    image-1481230508.png
    209.3 KB · Views: 81

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Stop squeezing him and he wouldn't look bloated.:p:D. Okay, kidding of course. I can't really say. See what others say.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
wellington said:
Stop squeezing him and he wouldn't look bloated.:p:D. Okay, kidding of course. I can't really say. See what others say.

But he's so squeezable soft lol :p

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well I see a little water retention in the hind leg skin. How often are you soaking?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well thats not really too much no. Just sometimes they can retain alot of water if soaked too much, or fed primary water based items like cucumbers, watermelons, cantaloupe, honey dew, english cucumbers, etc.. 60 minutes is quite a long time but wont hurt anything. Your just going to see more water retention like in his skin, giving a bloated look. I would go to soaking 15-25 minutes 2- 3 times a day and allowing lots of outside time so they can utilize the water given to them. Yoou could also suppliment some of the time off the soaks and replace it with spraying the enclosure or adding humidity to keep a hyrdrated specimen.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
I've seen alota "bloated" looking sulcatas -- they're just fat. People feed their torts WAY too much in general.

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
I dont know if its just me or that i need my granny specs on :rolleyes: but almost looks like a dent or whole on the plastron could just be bedding or something and the pic makes it look like something else.

Atra42o could you please snap a clear pic of the plastron for us?

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
tortadise said:
Well thats not really too much no. Just sometimes they can retain alot of water if soaked too much, or fed primary water based items like cucumbers, watermelons, cantaloupe, honey dew, english cucumbers, etc.. 60 minutes is quite a long time but wont hurt anything. Your just going to see more water retention like in his skin, giving a bloated look. I would go to soaking 15-25 minutes 2- 3 times a day and allowing lots of outside time so they can utilize the water given to them. Yoou could also suppliment some of the time off the soaks and replace it with spraying the enclosure or adding humidity to keep a hyrdrated specimen.

Ok great, thanks for the advice... He hasn't been out much the past few days because it's been rainy due to hurricane Isaac, so that may have something to due w/it... I'll keep u updated... Thanks again :)

chris_m90731 said:
I've seen alota "bloated" looking sulcatas -- they're just fat. People feed their torts WAY too much in general.

Lol yeah, he's a little piggy ;)

*Barracuda_50* said:
I dont know if its just me or that i need my granny specs on :rolleyes: but almost looks like a dent or whole on the plastron could just be bedding or something and the pic makes it look like something else.

Atra42o could you please snap a clear pic of the plastron for us?

I know exactly what u are referring to... He has a rather large umbilicus scar... He was only a few days old when I got him, so I don't know anything about his past (all that info was in my introduction post) all I know is he still had his egg tooth and it didn't fall off til about 2 weeks later... But here u go

image-997403596.png

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
WOW 2 days old. Holy cow. The earliest I have ever sold or given a hatchling out is 10 weeks. Thats super young. But he looks to be doing good.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
tortadise said:
WOW 2 days old. Holy cow. The earliest I have ever sold or given a hatchling out is 10 weeks. Thats super young. But he looks to be doing good.

Thank u :) but no one sold him to me, he was roaming around someone's yard and they brought him into Petco the same time I was there getting crickets.... He was too little to sell, so I took him home :D

schmodygirl

5 Year Member
mesa, az
He's super cute, and lucky to have a nice and caring human to take care of him.

Atra42o

5 Year Member
Baltimore, Md
schmodygirl said:
He's super cute, and lucky to have a nice and caring human to take care of him.

Awww thank u... I'm lucky to have him, he's my little lottery ticket lol

Status
Not open for further replies.