Bloated?

TortillaTheTortioise

Location (City and/or State)
N/A
IMG_20190508_210108.jpg IMG_20190508_210113.jpg I've noticed that since I've got my 1 and a half month old angulate hatchling he seems to be puffy/swollen on either side of his plastron. It looks like green veins are running through it as well.

He eats a lot I guess for his size, sometimes two whole leaves, and then sometimes he won't eat at all.

Could he be getting fat or bloated? I soak him everyday and his temps are 32°C by basking area and 24°C on cooler side. I try to get him to go in a play pen to walk around and maybe help with digestion but he still looks puffy

I've seen him poop once and found one in his hide, they sometimes blend in with the bedding

Last edited:

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
View attachment 271762 View attachment 271763 I've noticed that since I've got my 1 and a half month old angulate hatchling he seems to be puffy/swollen on either side of his plastron. It looks like green veins are running through it as well.

He eats a lot I guess for his size, sometimes two whole leaves, and then sometimes he won't eat at all.

Could he be getting fat or bloated? I soak him everyday and his temps are 32°C by basking area and 24°C on cooler side. I try to get him to go in a play pen to walk around and maybe help with digestion but he still looks puffy

I've seen him poop once and found one in his hide, they sometimes blend in with the bedding
He looks fine to me.

Bee62

Germany
From the pics I can see no problem but your basking spot temp should be higher. 40 C would be fine. Tortoises only can digest their food properly when their body temp is more than 35 C.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't see "bloating" on the shell parts, however, I DO see a couple very small areas on both sides that look like it might be the start of shell rot. Those little white spots? Do you keep him on wet substrate?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
I don't see "bloating" on the shell parts, however, I DO see a couple very small areas on both sides that look like it might be the start of shell rot. Those little white spots? Do you keep him on wet substrate?
No his on dry substrate, I do spray his burrow occasionally to create some humidity though

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Also forgot to mention the puffy sides feel very bumpy like there are small lumps underneath? The camera doesn't show what it looks like very well, has anyone experienced this with a hatchling?

@AngieMac
@CarolM

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Also forgot to mention the puffy sides feel very bumpy like there are small lumps underneath? The camera doesn't show what it looks like very well, has anyone experienced this with a hatchling?

@AngieMac
@CarolM
How is your baby doing now? Are her eyes still puffy? I would love to see what her enclosure looks like. I'm definitely no expert, but mine are currently thriving. So perhaps we can compare notes?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
How is your baby doing now? Are her eyes still puffy? I would love to see what her enclosure looks like. I'm definitely no expert, but mine are currently thriving. So perhaps we can compare notes?
his doing pretty good, his got a big appetite and is full of energy, under bowsprit tortoise u can find a thread called my angulate that has updated pics of his enclosure. I compared hatchlings plastron and realised all of them look puffy and bumpy but then smooth out when they older. I'm treating the bit of plastron rot with a antibacterial cream.

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
his doing pretty good, his got a big appetite and is full of energy, under bowsprit tortoise u can find a thread called my angulate that has updated pics of his enclosure. I compared hatchlings plastron and realised all of them look puffy and bumpy but then smooth out when they older. I'm treating the bit of plastron rot with a antibacterial cream.
That's great news. Do you know how the rot came about?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
That's great news. Do you know how the rot came about?
Not sure, I got him at a week old and he had it, but Carol said hers had little twirly white patterns that developed into patterns so I'm hoping it's that. He hatched after we had a few rainy days so I assume he must of stayed in a very wet area before he came out of the hole where the egg was

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
Not sure, I got him at a week old and he had it, but Carol said hers had little twirly white patterns that developed into patterns so I'm hoping it's that. He hatched after we had a few rainy days so I assume he must of stayed in a very wet area before he came out of the hole where the egg was
Oh wow.. ok. Interesting. They usually stay underground for a week or so while they absorb the yolk sac. I sent you an inbox message. Not sure if you've received it

AngieMac

5 Year Member
Cape Town, South Africa
I dont soak my babies anymore. They do it themselves now. Both of then do this every single evening.20190521_183352.jpeg