bloating in the intestines of a leopard tortoise and other problems

SonyaSofi

Location (City and/or State)
Kyiv, Ukraine
I'm sorry for my bad English. Please write all your thoughts. You may notice something else externally. the shell is hard. I don’t understand whether it’s perfect or not in shape

Background: I have long wanted a leopard tortoise, but I live in Ukraine and here you can only buy it in one place, which is famous for smuggling wild-caught animals.

I put this idea aside.

a month and a half ago I was passing through Bulgaria and there I found a leopard tortoise with a document confirming that it was born in captivity.

my joy knew no bounds! I bought it and brought it to my home.

I built her a terrarium, bought an Arcadia lamp 12%, arranged an excellent home based on the forums.

Then I found this forum and read about humidity and elevated temperatures. In general, I did everything right. I covered the top of the terrarium and kept the humidity at 80%. Every morning I bathe the turtle for half an hour (I already realized that I will bathe for an hour). The temperature at the warming point is 36-39, in the cold I don’t drop it below 26.

and now the turtle has been living with me for a month and a half. He eats great, I feed him dandelion leaves, plantain, clover, mulberry, and a few others when I find him.

every morning she poops when she bathes, eats and goes to warm up, then eats again, warms up, eats, warms up, and in the evening she goes to her cave.

but I have never seen salts released (urine).

I was told on a local forum that this is normal, to give her time to adapt and continue bathing.

as soon as I arrived, I noticed that she was breathing and seemed to be twitching her neck. The doctor online said that this is normal, there may be some tension inside. the doctor advised to let the turtle adapt for the first two months, and then go and get tested for parasites, etc. since the turtle is small and if you treat it, you need to give it time to get stronger in a new place.

I couldn’t stand it for two months, the turtle seemed to be in a good mood, the other day I went to the doctor.

I tested the turtle's stool for parasites - no. Today I tested it in another place, it showed an insignificant presence, the doctor said it’s not scary and there’s no point in driving them away, since there will be more harm from the medicine than from the number of eggs found in the poop; they could have gotten there on plant leaves.

They did an x-ray. showed bloating in the intestines.

backstory in backstory: The turtle seller said that the birthday is 03/10/2024. At the time of my purchase she was almost four months old. Now she is supposedly five months old.

While reading this forum I was very confused that the turtle currently weighs 56 grams. she weighed 54 grams two weeks ago, but this is not accurate, since the poop is back and forth, two grams is not enough.

Yesterday I passed the first stool test, took an x-ray, talked to the doctor, and in the evening I decided to look at the document again to see if the turtle was from the wild. and saw “date of birth 12/2023”.

I wrote to the seller, he did not answer anything. I wrote to the woman whose contacts are listed in the document. she confirmed that my seller bought them from her. that at the moment the turtle is 9 months old. the woman is shocked. she is very sorry that this happened. She says that she explained to the buyer how to care for them. From the photo, she is almost sure that the turtle is hers, since she marks them with different colors depending on who the turtles' parents are. and said that the color of the shell was also similar to her babies.

Then I found an advertisement for this seller from whom I bought. Everywhere in the photo, turtles are eating lettuce leaves.

In general, as far as I understand, the turtle ate normally for the first 4 months of its life. Then the turtle came to my seller and ate lettuce leaves for 3 months. and then she came to me and eats weeds.

the woman whose contacts are in the document did not answer me about humidity at the birth stage. but she said that in the seller’s photo the soil is a little dry and she advises keeping it moist and spraying every day at night. I hope she has the right conditions at birth

Based on the results of the x-ray, the doctor said to reduce the succulent herbs and add dry ones. outwardly the turtle is healthy and active. We cannot take blood to check the kidneys, since it is too small and would be a lot of stress for the body. there are no signs of problems other than the absence of salts in the urine. but they are barely present in the stool analysis. he is worried that there should be more of them. but for now we can’t do anything, first we need to remove the bloating in the intestines, and then maybe everything will return to normal.

So the question is: please tell me, do you have any thoughts on this matter? how to help a turtle recover? I'm thinking of ordering Mazuri and a probiotic for turtles. Do I really need to add more dry herbs? the fact is that the turtle does not want to eat them. I mixed dandelion with arcadia dry food (soaked it a little), but the turtle chose the leaves and that’s it. It seems to me that restricting her food is bad, given her weight.

lives on exo terra coconut fiber, we don't have orchid bark. nibble on the cuttlefish shell, through feeding I add arcadia calcium and arcadia vitamin clay.

The size of the enclosure is currently 43x100cm. At first I read the wrong information, where it was written that 40x60 is suitable. I plan to make a bigger one when he grows up a little

I try to take him out to the park for walks more often. happens once a week, sometimes 3 times a week, for 1-2 hours. All this time the turtle eats or goes somewhere. walks a lot

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpeg
    IMG_3524.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3570.jpeg
    IMG_3570.jpeg
  • IMG_3573.jpeg
    IMG_3573.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3571.jpeg
    IMG_3571.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3547.jpeg
    IMG_3547.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3528.jpeg
    IMG_3528.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3526.jpeg
    IMG_3526.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
  • IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3564.png
    IMG_3564.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3534.png
    IMG_3534.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3539.jpeg
    IMG_3539.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3522.jpeg
    IMG_3522.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3523.jpeg
    IMG_3523.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
Arcadia t5 12% distance to ground 46cm This is fine? what should the ultraviolet index be? if you believe the box it comes out <4.4camphoto_1932422408.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Everything sounds good to me. One change is the spot light. If you can, find an incandescent FLOOD bulb to replace the spot bulb. The spot bulb is too intense and will still cause pyramiding even in the best humidity.
Also, never let temps go below 80F day and night with Basking 95-100F. Humidity 80%
I suggest giving her the proper diet, hydration and room to roam, like you are doing, s/he will be fine.
I'm not sure what you mean about salt in the urine. If she is eating and drinking, she most likely is peeing in the soaks or on her substrate. Never easy seeing them pee.
No need to feed wet greens but it doesn't hurt if they are wet either, just more hydration.
I will alert a couple more experienced members to see what they think.
@Yvonne G
@Tom

zolasmum

5 Year Member
By salt in the urine, do you mean the white toothpaste-looking stuff caled urates ?
Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If urates are what you are talking about when you say salt, leopards don't pass urates. I have had my leopards since 2011-2012 and never seen a urate from them. My Russian yes, leopards no.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
Everything sounds good to me. One change is the spot light. If you can, find an incandescent FLOOD bulb to replace the spot bulb. The spot bulb is too intense and will still cause pyramiding even in the best humidity.
Also, never let temps go below 80F day and night with Basking 95-100F. Humidity 80%
I suggest giving her the proper diet, hydration and room to roam, like you are doing, s/he will be fine.
I'm not sure what you mean about salt in the urine. If she is eating and drinking, she most likely is peeing in the soaks or on her substrate. Never easy seeing them pee.
No need to feed wet greens but it doesn't hurt if they are wet either, just more hydration.
I will alert a couple more experienced members to see what they think.
@Yvonne G
@Tom
Thank you! wet greens, I mean fresh leaves) the heating lamp does not seem to be a direct point, it forms a large warm circle, I thought it was right, not a spot. I'll definitely find an incandescent lamp

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
By salt in the urine, do you mean the white toothpaste-looking stuff caled urates ?
Angie
In the morning when I bathe the turtle, only a dark piece comes out of it. without light. no urine. I have never seen anything light. just poop in the water. the doctor said that in the analysis of poop there are urea crystals, but there are very few of them

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
If urates are what you are talking about when you say salt, leopards don't pass urates. I have had my leopards since 2011-2012 and never seen a urate from them. My Russian yes, leopards no.
oh my god! I'm going to cry with happiness now)) this is very good news. I thought this was a problem, but it turned out to be normal

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
I’m so happy) there is only one problem left, why there is gas in the intestines and lack of growth. Perhaps due to eating salads for a long time, the intestines are full and therefore nothing is absorbed. how to get it back to normal

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I’m so happy) there is only one problem left, why there is gas in the intestines and lack of growth. Perhaps due to eating salads for a long time, the intestines are full and therefore nothing is absorbed. how to get it back to normal
I personally think if you give him daily long soaks, do it in a container he has room to move around it and try to keep him moving, he will be fine, but see what the two a alerted have to say.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
I personally think if you give him daily long soaks, do it in a container he has room to move around it and try to keep him moving, he will be fine, but see what the two a alerted have to say.
🫶🏻🫶🏻🫶🏻 Thanks a lot
please tell me, at the moment, according to the photo, there is no pyramid?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Urates don't form in well hydrated tortoises. Your frequent soaks have been keeping the tortoise healthy and hydrated.

I don't see any problem with the intestines. If this tortoise is eating and behaving normally, I would relax and enjoy it. Keep feeding a variety of good foods. Lettuce is fine when combined with the supplemental foods you already have, and weeds, leaves, and succulents are all excellent tortoise foods.

This baby looks healthy and well started, and the breeder seems to have taken decent care of it after hatching. I think you will have many happy years with this tortoise.

Welcome to our forum and please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to talk tortoises.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
and perhaps you can also tell me how to maintain warm water while swimming? I make the water 35 degrees and when it cools down to 30 degrees, I take out the turtle and again dial 35. I get eternal changes of 30 then 35. but I don’t understand how to do it differently. I read that you can’t add warm water when the turtle is in the water.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
Urates don't form in well hydrated tortoises. Your frequent soaks have been keeping the tortoise healthy and hydrated.

I don't see any problem with the intestines. If this tortoise is eating and behaving normally, I would relax and enjoy it. Keep feeding a variety of good foods. Lettuce is fine when combined with the supplemental foods you already have, and weeds, leaves, and succulents are all excellent tortoise foods.

This baby looks healthy and well started, and the breeder seems to have taken decent care of it after hatching. I think you will have many happy years with this tortoise.

Welcome to our forum and please feel free to ask as many questions as you want. We are all here to talk tortoises.
thank you very much for your answer
I'm worried that the turtle is 9 months old and weighs 56 grams. The doctor said about the intestines based on the results of the x-ray and because she sometimes jerks her neck when she breathes. I'll try to send the video somehow

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
and perhaps you can also tell me how to maintain warm water while swimming? I make the water 35 degrees and when it cools down to 30 degrees, I take out the turtle and again dial 35. I get eternal changes of 30 then 35. but I don’t understand how to do it differently. I read that you can’t add warm water when the turtle is in the water.
I always just dump it and add more warm water. You can add warm water while tortoise is still in the soak container. Just don't pour too hot of water and don't pour it over the tort until it's already mixed in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Also, some people will put the container in the enclosure to help keep water warm or in partial sun.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
This is a video from the first day we arrived home. I was confused about how he was breathing. the doctor said that it felt like something was pressing inside, possibly bloating of the intestines due to parasites. but let him be at home and adapt.

This video was yesterday before going to another doctor. based on this video and x-ray, she said that it was the gases in the intestines that were pressing and that less fresh leaves should be given, more dry ones

but this strange sound from the jaw happens after a walk and rarely at home. the doctor said that everything is fine with the beak and it’s most likely sand rubbing there or calcium powder

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I soak babies in a container they can't climb out of, but is small enough to fit back into the enclosure. Then I place the soaking tortoise NEXT to where the light shines down on the floor, but not directly under it.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
Also, some people will put the container in the enclosure to help keep water warm or in partial sun.
Yes, I thought about this too, but I have high walls and doing this is quite inconvenient. Plus I think she won't be comfortable. suddenly she wants to get away from under the lamp, but she can’t))) thanks, if you can add water from the side, it makes this process easier. For some reason I was afraid) of everything you read on the Internet). I am very glad that I found your forum in time. I was looking for whether it is possible to use coconut substrate, since on our forums they write everywhere that it is very dangerous if swallowed and they recommend peat with sand😂 but sand is not dangerous😂