bloating in the intestines of a leopard tortoise and other problems

SonyaSofi

Location (City and/or State)
Kyiv, Ukraine
This is a video from the first day we arrived home. I was confused about how he was breathing. the doctor said that it felt like something was pressing inside, possibly bloating of the intestines due to parasites. but let him be at home and adapt.

This video was yesterday before going to another doctor. based on this video and x-ray, she said that it was the gases in the intestines that were pressing and that less fresh leaves should be given, more dry ones

but this strange sound from the jaw happens after a walk and rarely at home. the doctor said that everything is fine with the beak and it’s most likely sand rubbing there or calcium powder
@wellington @Tom @Yvonne G please take a look when you have time

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The first two videos look very normal to me. The head move kinda in and out a little is normal and head bobbing.
The third video with the noise, sounds like beak/mouth rubbing to me. Beak is fine
Remove the hay though. They shouldn't have hay as a substrate and they should not be feeding hay at that age. If you want to try to feed hay, it should be cut into tiny pieces and soaked.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is a video from the first day we arrived home. I was confused about how he was breathing. the doctor said that it felt like something was pressing inside, possibly bloating of the intestines due to parasites. but let him be at home and adapt.

This video was yesterday before going to another doctor. based on this video and x-ray, she said that it was the gases in the intestines that were pressing and that less fresh leaves should be given, more dry ones

but this strange sound from the jaw happens after a walk and rarely at home. the doctor said that everything is fine with the beak and it’s most likely sand rubbing there or calcium powder
That is normal breathing. Tortoises don't have a diaphragm like mammals do, so they move there head and neck like that for breathing.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
The first two videos look very normal to me. The head move kinda in and out a little is normal and head bobbing.
The third video with the noise, sounds like beak/mouth rubbing to me. Beak is fine
Remove the hay though. They shouldn't have hay as a substrate and they should not be feeding hay at that age. If you want to try to feed hay, it should be cut into tiny pieces and soaked.
Thanks a lot! hay in the box, I take the turtle with me in the car for a 10-minute drive to the park. she never tried to eat it

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
I also cut the roof out of styrofoam. I made the sky))) before that I used plastic lids, there were holes at the joints, it was not completely airtight. Question: is it necessary to do at least some ventilation?

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
changed the lamp. I took 75w. now the cold corner is too warm. it was easier with the previous lamp). I'll try to buy a 35w lamp and lower it lower

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You should have the basking bulb in a metal dome that's 10 to 10.5 inch diameter.
Usually raising or lower the bulbs work to get right temps. The way you have yours attached unfortunately is hard to raise and lower and I'm not sure the dome will fit.
Your other bulb likely would have worked if you could raise it and then add a ceramic heat emitter on the cooler side and put that on a thermostat.
You don't want the enclosure air tight. But they don't need vents. Special building has to be done to make something air tight. A normal build will not be air tight. And when you open it to feed, water, etc, it will get air exchange. Even our houses are not air tight.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
You should have the basking bulb in a metal dome that's 10 to 10.5 inch diameter.
Usually raising or lower the bulbs work to get right temps. The way you have yours attached unfortunately is hard to raise and lower and I'm not sure the dome will fit.
Your other bulb likely would have worked if you could raise it and then add a ceramic heat emitter on the cooler side and put that on a thermostat.
You don't want the enclosure air tight. But they don't need vents. Special building has to be done to make something air tight. A normal build will not be air tight. And when you open it to feed, water, etc, it will get air exchange. Even our houses are not air tight.
Thank you very much! This previous lamp gave me the correct temperature in the heating zone without increasing the temperature on the other side. This may be due to the metal coating inside the lamp. I haven’t installed a ceramic heater yet, since the temperature in my room is just 26 in the cold corner. but I’ve already looked at which thermostat and ceramic lamp I’ll buy closer to winter. Previously, I used incandescent lamps (which you recommended) with other reptiles, they were in the shade and quickly burned out, as they explained to me, they overheated. So I decided to take a metal-coated lamp and hang it without a shade. but if my previous lamp is bad, I'll figure something out with these incandescent lamps. about ventilation was explained very clearly, thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah the incandescent is needed for basking as the mercury, halogen or spot bulbs are not good.
The cool side and night temps though needs to be no lower than 80F. So a ceramic heat emitter may be needed before winter on a thermostat if the incandescent can't keep it warm enough. Besides the incandescent is off at night so night heat is needed. If that makes sense.

SonyaSofi

Kyiv, Ukraine
Yeah the incandescent is needed for basking as the mercury, halogen or spot bulbs are not good.
The cool side and night temps though needs to be no lower than 80F. So a ceramic heat emitter may be needed before winter on a thermostat if the incandescent can't keep it warm enough. Besides the incandescent is off at night so night heat is needed. If that makes sense.
You probably didn’t understand correctly) the temperature in my photos is in Celsius. On the contrary, an incandescent lamp heats up very much)