Blowing bubbles but very active.

Speedy101

Location (City and/or State)
North East England
Hi everyone,
Been a while since I posted as both my guys have been doing very well.
However when I went to check on my oldest, speedy, today his nostrils were blocked with a little bit of damp coco coir. I cleaned his nose and he started blowing bubbles and had clear discharge from his nose. I’ve offered him food which he has taken and he is trampling round and head butting me being territorial. I know bubbles usually sign of RI but is usually accompanied with lethargy and loss of appetite which is not happening. Any ideas? would it be ok to keep an eye on him for a day or two to see if it continues before vet visit. It’s been very warm in UK with temps 26c, him basking in the sun would reach over 30c easily so he has not been cold or wet. He also has ample shade though I have heard overheating can cause bubbles sometimes. He’s 16 this year :)

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your bubbles may have been due to irritation from the substrate. Dry dusty substrate can irritate their eyes and nasal passages. Coco coir needs to be damp and hand packed. I like it for baby Testudo, but its too messy for adults in my experience. Switched to orchid bark or cypress mulch for an adult.

Speedy101

North East England
Your bubbles may have been due to irritation from the substrate. Dry dusty substrate can irritate their eyes and nasal passages. Coco coir needs to be damp and hand packed. I like it for baby Testudo, but it’s too messy for adults in my experience. Switched to orchid bark or cypress mulch for an adult.
okay thank you I’ll keep an eye on him. I’ve had trouble trying find safe bark and mulch in the UK in large quantities 😕