Bobby died last night

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
So sorry for your loss. You did your best for the little guy.
If you eventually decided to try again then there are plenty of older rescue torts and I'm sure they'd be lucky to have a good home with you.

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
thanks for everyone’s help during the time we had Bobby.
I have no idea what happened.
He had a uvb light, a heater emmiter, bought gauges for humidity and heat, monitored them, bought him all kinds of different foods that I got advice from here and scouring the internet.
Soaked him everyday put him outside (we don’t use pesticides) I just had ordered him mazuri to try anything to stimulate his appetite.
I really don’t think he ever ate that well when he arrived. The first week he would nibble and eat, maybe the first 5 days I would say, he ate the way he should have but after that he didn’t show much interest in food. Just nibbles. I looked at videos of tortoise eating and he never ate like that from the beginning. I spent everyday at least 45 minutes with him, to care for him..
I would not recommend anyone getting a hatchling when they have very little experience. If someone wants a tortoise they would be better off spending extra money for an established baby at least.
I’m really very sad about it, he lived 29 days.
He was 2 months old when I got him.

My first baby was a very stressful experience. It was hovering around 50-60g for 3 months without gaining a gram despite the optimum care I had for it.
Finally it got me so stressed that I had to resell it back to the petstore (they sold it to someone else now, but I heard it's still not gaining any weight!)
Then I decided to put a bit more money down and got Titan, he was around 400g. That alone eliminates the problem of hatchling failure syndrome and you know he has a normal healthy kidney.
Now he is 522g after 3 months.

Honestly, I don't think pet store should sell them babies at all. From my experience, I would never go for babies at 50-60g, it is too much of a risk taking them in because you just don't know if they are gonna make it. If they don't it's just devastating. I never go for spongy, soft carapace ones either.
They are generally safe at 100g plus because you know that it is surely growing.
If you try again, I recommended getting one at least more than 80g, tell the petstore to weight it, if it's below 80g, don't take it.

Last edited:

joshua10867

NY
He had a uvb light, a heater emmiter, bought gauges for humidity and heat, monitored them, bought him all kinds of different foods that I got advice from here and scouring the internet.
Soaked him everyday put him outside (we don’t use pesticides) I just had ordered him mazuri to try anything to stimulate his appetite.
I really don’t think he ever ate that well when he arrived. The first week he would nibble and eat, maybe the first 5 days I would say, he ate the way he should have but after that he didn’t show much interest in food. Just nibbles. I looked at videos of tortoise eating and he never ate like that from the beginning. I spent everyday at least 45 minutes with him, to care for him..
I would not recommend anyone getting a hatchling when they have very little experience. If someone wants a tortoise they would be better off spending extra money for an established baby at least.
Sorry for your loss :<3:

StacieJ

Tampa Florida
Just my experience with Red Foot Ranch. We purchased a total of 10 redfoots from him because he lives close and is very knowledgeable however of those 10 only 2 have lived thankfully we kept them away from our big guys from @ZEROPILOT. 7 were 2 year olds all purchased at the same time from the same container and only one is still living and truthfully she is just hanging on. We spent thousands of dollars at vets on them and they still died and at the same time got an education at the vets office. We did find out after being at the “ranch”and seeing his incubator although impressive it was kind of empty however the next weekend he had about 50 babies and larger ones that weren’t there a few days earlier. He told us he travels to buy them from other people and he sells them without quarantine. We were inexperienced but learned a very fast and expensive lesson. If you can buy from the great people of tortoise forum and take their advice. I think the people here are the reason the one is still hanging on. We had and issue with eggs we incubated and hatched and I emailed a member and immediately he directed me to another member from another country and I emailed him and immediately he answered me and was able to give me the help and support I needed to get me through that.

MissK_

Texas
I definitely know what you’re going through. I just got my baby red footed tortoise on February 2nd and he was a hatchling as well. He just died last Thursday. He also wasn’t eating and i was contantly giving him different types of greens and fruits to see if that would change anything but it didn’t

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just my experience with Red Foot Ranch. We purchased a total of 10 redfoots from him because he lives close and is very knowledgeable however of those 10 only 2 have lived thankfully we kept them away from our big guys from @ZEROPILOT. 7 were 2 year olds all purchased at the same time from the same container and only one is still living and truthfully she is just hanging on. We spent thousands of dollars at vets on them and they still died and at the same time got an education at the vets office. We did find out after being at the “ranch”and seeing his incubator although impressive it was kind of empty however the next weekend he had about 50 babies and larger ones that weren’t there a few days earlier. He told us he travels to buy them from other people and he sells them without quarantine. We were inexperienced but learned a very fast and expensive lesson. If you can buy from the great people of tortoise forum and take their advice. I think the people here are the reason the one is still hanging on. We had and issue with eggs we incubated and hatched and I emailed a member and immediately he directed me to another member from another country and I emailed him and immediately he answered me and was able to give me the help and support I needed to get me through that.
You're a great tort mom!

Hbewsher

NY
I am so sorry :( I hope you take the time you need and fall in love with another tortoise someday. It would be lucky to have you.

We got a hatchling cherry head from Redfoot ranch about 3 months ago. Luckily, it seems to be thriving. We are already very attached to Todd, but I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose one, even if they haven't been with you long. They are endearing little creatures.

I hope there aren't hidden, underlying issues that could arise later on from coming from a less than ideal breeder. I wouldn't have gone to Redfoot Ranch if I had heard this 4 months ago. :(

Kadels

5 Year Member

I got 2 baby red-eared sliders several years ago. I bought them from a kiosk in a mall. I had a similar experience and it devastated me. Truth be told, it still bothers me. But I now have a very healthy 6-year-old Sulcata (albeit with only 3 legs), and a 22-month-old human. It may be rough for awhile, but don't be discouraged.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I am so sorry :( I hope you take the time you need and fall in love with another tortoise someday. It would be lucky to have you.

We got a hatchling cherry head from Redfoot ranch about 3 months ago. Luckily, it seems to be thriving. We are already very attached to Todd, but I can only imagine how hard it must be to lose one, even if they haven't been with you long. They are endearing little creatures.

I hope there aren't hidden, underlying issues that could arise later on from coming from a less than ideal breeder. I wouldn't have gone to Redfoot Ranch if I had heard this 4 months ago. :(
I must say Todd is an outstanding name!
But I am a little bias....

Pealow127

Catskills NY

So very sorry...I just got a hatchling today, hope I have better experience. That is just so sad. There is another baby waiting for you❤️

Port St Lucie, FL

I too am new but I think I have it in me to make this work perfectly for my baby. I can understand the neurological signs because the kidneys affect the brain, if the kidneys were sick this would be my tip-off. I am sorry you lost your baby. I'm learning so much more than I thought I knew already through the members of this Forum. More than one opinion makes for a great place for information. Again my condolences.

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA
I am so so sad for you and your family.... Hatchlings are so hard. I know that tortoises do not have emotions, that’s what everyone says. But tortoises are living beings and I truly believe that being in your loving care would be a gentle way for him to cross that rainbow bridge....