:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Something tells me you kinda' like the redfoot tortoise!

grogansilver

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Tonights dinner party .... at my house :D
" Mixture of Reds N Cherrys"
groupmunch.jpg

Happy Tort"n
:p

im trying to figure out how many cherryheads are in there and how many regular redfoots there are in that picture i would guess the smaller ones are the cherryheads right?

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
How many do you have? Can you back up and take a pic of the whole thing?
So cool to see so many. I can't wait till I can get mine outside, it's still to cold here.
Na

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I can't believe that you have 11 Redfoots. I never knew that I thought you only had around 4 or them. Do they all get a long with each other? Do the big ones bully the little ones? They look like they're all happy (of course they're eating) so that might make a difference. I loved looking at them all thanks for posting the pictures. :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
grogansilver said:
im trying to figure out how many cherryheads are in there and how many regular redfoots there are in that picture i would guess the smaller ones are the cherryheads right?

Actually ... two of the larger ones in that pic are cherrys... and some of the midsize also ........about 5 and 5 and a few out of the picture.....
15 total....
5 cherrys.....
2 northerns...
2 golden redfoots
6 " columbians"
T2REDSBETTER.jpg

goldenbabe7.jpg
FemChrry1.jpg
Jrcherry3Face.jpg
elviscloseup.jpg

GOTTA LOVE MY REDS ~*~*~**~*:p
JD~

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Getting plenty of mileage out of that Mazuri, I see. ;)

They look like a happy herd...:D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
Getting plenty of mileage out of that Mazuri, I see. ;)

They look like a happy herd...:D
Posted by Candy - Today 02:41 PM
I can't believe that you have 11 Redfoots. I never knew that I thought you only had around 4 or them. Do they all get a long with each other?

Posted by DoctorCosmonaut - Today 07:09 PM
Wow what a crew! Looks nice! Good job
Thanks Doc:)
Happy herd indeed.... they all get along fine .. I keep the yearlings + in a seprate place ( their own table' ..but in the same house" ) so they dont get Bull'ied by the herd. And yes I use the Mazuri...but only 2 times a week ... along with 2 days protien and the rest a mixture of greens, hibiscus, cactus,dandilion, rose pedals,,,LOVE fresh grape leaves. ... even veggies,along with their favo ... Mango...and all the berry's.All readily available.;)

Here are recent additons to the " herd" ...Two nice " Screamers" from Mr. Terry K.:D
t2reds.jpg

JD:)...
HAppy" TORTN!
PS ... I get the Mazuri 25lb bag for 65 bucks! A short drive away.:D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
In case anyone should wonder.. those "Screamers" that JD has shown are a little 'bumpy'.................... because about 2 months after they hatched they went to a different home that "thought" they were keeping them humid enough - well they weren't! So if they look 'bumpy' next to the similar sized "farm-raised" and larger WC.. that why. But JD told me he wanted those 'colors'!

Terry K

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
I dont think anyone was questioning that ....They are fine~so far ..
and not all of these are "farmers" .. or WC..
by the way ... unless My house is considered a " farm"

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JD:

I've been curious about something ever since I read Terry's post about his one female that always hatches out hybrid babies. Since you seem to have all your tortoises together, aren't you concerned about interbreeding between sub-species (if that's the right word)? Or were they just together for the photo op?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi JD:

I've been curious about something ever since I read Terry's post about his one female that always hatches out hybrid babies. Since you seem to have all your tortoises together, aren't you concerned about interbreeding between sub-species (if that's the right word)? Or were they just together for the photo op?

Together for the feeding/Calcium dust photo op is one ... and .. since when did Jr's ... opps I mean .. " Sub adults" ... <~~~still cracks me up ....be able to mate with adults?...Plus you all must have tons of luck with all these eggs flying around.
Speaking of eggs.....* new post idea*
Also what do you mean hybrid baby? these are all redfoots ...
the sub species debate is such a bowl of spaghatti no one has a " right " answer . And funny thing .. those who do sell these, market the odd balls or the outstanding colored , even albino's ,, at top prices! ..
( From a marketing stand point ... the " one off" .. always gets premium dollar! ) Do ya think honestly belive these " One off's or super colors" are from breeding a " true" species?
Also from all the Havoc and different opinions ..I dont think anyone can honestly say .. how pure your tort is ...They cross breed in the wild too! :cool:

tortoiseguy65

5 Year Member
Illinois
[quotePS ... I get the Mazuri 25lb bag for 65 bucks! A short drive away.:D
[/quote]

I get my Mazuri at the local feed store. Takes 2 weeks from the time I order it, but it only cost me $28 per 25 pound bag if memory serves me. I will find out soon, as I just ordered some the other day. Sorry to hear those that pay so much for it. I guess I am lucky.:D

Take care,
Jeff Port

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
N2TORTS said:
Also what do you mean hybrid baby? these are all redfoots ...
the sub species debate is such a bowl of spaghatti no one has a " right " answer .

Its just that in another thread Terry was given quite a bad time about his "intergrade" redfoots because he made the mistake of keeping two different kinds together in the same pen and they interbred. Its taking several years for the female to use up all the stored sperm and he THINKS that maybe this year she has finally laid "pure" eggs.

I was just a question. I'd be the last person to point fingers, as I, myself, had caused intergradation.

Status
Not open for further replies.