Bonding?

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
Yes, it's me with yet another question.
I keep reading about how some of your torts love to be pet, follow you around, come up to you when they see you. What can I do to "bond" with Tank?
His backstory:
About 6 months ago, I had a patient (I'm an RN) and I don't remember how we got on the topic, but we ended up talking about tortoises. I told her I had a Sulcata for about 6 years before she was stolen. :( And about my other experience with exotic animals (I was a professional breeder, mostly Burmese Pythons, in the mid-late 90's and quit when my first son was born) So she ended up telling me that she was "stuck" with her son's tort. Her son got Tank as a baby when he was 13, then left for college and was supposed to come back for him. Well, now he's 30 with a family and still hadn't wanted Tank back. She told me that the tort was getting too big and her health wasn't allowing her to take proper care of him. I told her I have a huge yard and a huge heart and would LOVE to take him! She said she'd talk to her son and let me know. I gave her my number and waited for a call. That was 6 months ago.
So a couple months ago I get a text asking if I still wanted Tank and could I pick him up tomorrow? I said absolutely yes! And that's exactly what I did.
That night, I stopped at Lowe's on my way home from work and got what I needed to make a temporary pen. When I picked him up, I saw that he was living far from the house, in an area about 5 ft wide and 20 ft long on the side of an old garage that was used for storage. He had a small box in there and had dug a 6 ft burrow underneath it (he had to get though the concrete foundation to get in it and scraped up the top of his shell). She confessed the only interaction he had with people was her throwing scraps of food in his pen and the occasional visit from the neighborhood kids. His life was very solitary.
He was extremely shy initially. Cautious. He slowly "came out of his shell" and stopped retreating every time he saw me. He has been getting used to me. He will come up to the gate at feeding time, and now will eat out of my hand. He let's me rub his nose a tiny bit and I try to "pet" him a lot. Mostly we just sit together. And enjoy feeding time. I let him out of his pen and check on him frequently, talk to him. He seems happy.
So…. is there anything I can do to get him to "like" me better, so to speak? Is there a particular way they like to be rubbed? Things they don't like? I've realized food does the trick. So does going for "walks". He likes to go across the street with me to the "Sulcata Buffet" (see pic below), but that's just because he likes it there.
Any suggestions???

Attachments

• Tank20.jpg
    Tank20.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Tank10.jpg
    Tank10.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Tank13.jpg
    Tank13.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 58

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think if you just keep doing what you already are and give him some time, he will get cozier to you. The feeding of the favo foods always helps. Just remember, not all tortoises will act the same, so yours may have gone as far as he is going to. Sounds like he has already come a long way in a not so long of time, specially for not really being cared for properly or having much human interaction.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Joe likes to be rubbed under his chin.... well he tolerates it anyway. What he really loves me for is providing food. I don't think he has really bonded. Tortoises are not social animals like dogs. They don't bond as such.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I didn't really know a better word to use, lol. I don't expect him to really "bond", but I want him to know I will take much better care of him and I'd like him to be comfortable enough around me to not feel he has to "hide in his shell", which he still does at times. I'd love it if he followed me or even just came up to me no reason!

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
Considering he's spent 17 years in solitary I think he's coming along really well. Food is a strong motivator. You're doing a great job. Keep us posted.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Treats really got my baby to except me. She now comes to me when I wiggle my fingers at her. She also loves her "butt" scratched! Does this little dance with her back legs, too cute. You are doing great with him so far.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Treats really got my baby to except me. She now comes to me when I wiggle my fingers at her. She also loves her "butt" scratched! Does this little dance with her back legs, too cute. You are doing great with him so far.

I've heard about this rubbing them a certain way or as you said "scratching" that will get them to "dance" or something similar.
Anyone know more about that?
How do you scratch her exactly?? Sounds like an odd thing to do to a big rock! Lol...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You get the tortoise to do the Hootchie Kootchie dance by gently rubbing back and forth across the back of the carapace.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
I scratch Thor all over his back and butt. He loves it! He will even do the dance when I have the sprinkler on and he is in the water. It is the cutest thing. When I first got Thor, he did not want anything to do with me and would close up when I came near. I just would sit beside him and pet his nose as much as I could. I have only had him since August of last year. He now comes to me when I go out back and he will just sit down beside me. So just keep up what you are doing now and he will come around. Good luck.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I scratch Thor all over his back and butt. He loves it! He will even do the dance when I have the sprinkler on and he is in the water. It is the cutest thing. When I first got Thor, he did not want anything to do with me and would close up when I came near. I just would sit beside him and pet his nose as much as I could. I have only had him since August of last year. He now comes to me when I go out back and he will just sit down beside me. So just keep up what you are doing now and he will come around. Good luck.

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. I feel he's coming around, I'm just curious about how far we can go. What kind/how old is your tort?

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
He is 8 yrs., but i don't think he had a lot of hands on attention like i give to him now. my boyfriend will call him and he wouldnt come but he would for me. he has been coming more now to him because my boyfriend goes and pets him more now. so to keep at him and you will be surprised how much he will change.