Book shelf tortoise table

Manetamer

Location (City and/or State)
Wetumpka Alabama
I am in the process of creating a tort table from a book shelf. It is 30 inches wide and 15 inches deep. At the moment it is 6 ft tall but I intend to modify that. It will house 1 baby red foot. How long should it be and also I am unsure of the best kind of top to build. Any suggestions?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
The book self (flat) is 6' x 30''? I think that's pretty big right now for a little baby. Redfoots need a lot of humidity, so your going to want cover at least half with something to hold that in, because an open top like that will leach out humidity fast. I would use a little screen (even just fencing) to hold your light, unless you have a stand or a built-in fixture :D

Manetamer

Wetumpka Alabama
We were going to cut the length some . What would you suggest? Also would an acrylic top work? Should I cover the whole thing? How will I install my lighting? I was told it will not penetrate acrylic. I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to do the best I can. Happening to purchase a baby next week.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Basking light temps should be high about 100F so adjust Height for that. It would be a good idea to buy a temp gun. Put a nice sized pebble under your basking light and measure your temp with the gun by pointing at the pebble. Everyone has it hanging at different distances for many reasons one being how low or high the watts are of the bulb.

— Gus