Bottom of outdoor enclosure

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Valley, CA
For building a permanent outdoor enclosure, is it nesscesary to bury some sort of escape proof wire under it or not? I am already digging a trench and filling it with bricks but im scared hes going to still try and escape. Thanks!

Ruchonnet

5 Year Member
Central Valley, CA
Great thanks! I plan on surrounding it with bricks dug into a trench and bricks around the whole thing. I just wasnt sure if I needed some type of wire or something underneath

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When I first made my outdoor enclosures close to 20 years ago, I was told yes you must or they will dig out, so I did. Since then I have found none of my tortoises (many types and many enclosures) have ever even tried to dig out. The closest would be Russians, who use to dig under a stepping stone I had placed near to the edge of the enclosure. They were not digging to escape, it just happened to be they chose that item to have as their hide. I still do like to put my wire into the ground, but it is to make sure the wire completely covers all those natsty tiny dips in the surface of my ground, not as a dig barrier.