Bottom shell

BoyMom×3

Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn,VA
Hello, we have a eastern hermanns tortoise. He's (we think a he) very active and eats well. Diet is dandilions, red romaine, arugula and during warm months loves cucumbers flowers. The bottom of his shell has dips . I tried to get photos. He's been this way for as long as we've had him. Anyone have insight?

Attachments

• 20240101_102200.jpg
    20240101_102200.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240101_102142.jpg
    20240101_102142.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello, we have a eastern hermanns tortoise. He's (we think a he) very active and eats well. Diet is dandilions, red romaine, arugula and during warm months loves cucumbers flowers. The bottom of his shell has dips . I tried to get photos. He's been this way for as long as we've had him. Anyone have insight?
It doesn't look too unusual. I wouldn't be overly concerned personally. It may smooth itself out more over time.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe male Hermanns plastron concaves as they mature into manhood. He may very well be a male, so far looks to be, and his plastron is starting to concave.
I believe Russians are the only ones that don't concave.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see this most when they are raised in dry conditions. There isn't anything to be done about it and it does't do any harm.

What does the carapace look like? Where did you get this tortoise and how long have you had it?

You need much more variety in the diet. Add in amendments to make the grocery store food more suitable, and add in more weeds, leaves and flowers when you can get those. Grape leaves, mulberry leaves, rose of Sharon leaves, clover, broadleaf plantain, sow thistle, prickly lettuce, bristly ox tongue... There are so many.

At the store look for curly endive, escarole, cilantro, collard greens, etc... Add in soaked horse hay pellets, ZooMed pellets, Mazuri, "Herbal Hay" from Tortoisesupply.com and several of the dried leaf offerings from Kapidolofarms.com.

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
It doesn't look too unusual. I wouldn't be overly concerned personally. It may smooth itself out more over time.
Ok, I just wanted to check make sure Moo is doing well. My son is making the argument he needs a wife lol. He has such personality I get the draw of wanting another one. He has me on the food since he has 11 aerogardens lol.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ok, I just wanted to check make sure Moo is doing well. My son is making the argument he needs a wife lol. He has such personality I get the draw of wanting another one. He has me on the food since he has 11 aerogardens lol.
If you do get a second one, do you realize that they will need to be kept in two totally separate enclosures? If kept together, they will be so stressed that their health will be at risk (especially if the second one is a female).

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
If you do get a second one, do you realize that they will need to be kept in two totally separate enclosures? If kept together, they will be so stressed that their health will be at risk (especially if the second one is a female).
Yes we looking into it.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi they do not need friend or partner they are happier solo. They tend to fight / dominate if together. Check the care sheets, that the set up is correct and enjoy your tort.
Thread 'Info For New People. Please Read This First.' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/

Last edited:

BoyMom×3

Ashburn,VA
Hi they do not need friend or partner they are happier solo. They tend to fight / dominate if together. Check the care sheets, that the set up is correct and enjoy your tort.
Thread 'Info For New People. Please Read This First.' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
We have separate habitats just are planning next to each other. Just short together visits like when we take the out in the field for sun, flowers and excercise when the weather's nice.