Bow front aquarium conversion - table help?

MSandK

Location (City and/or State)
Denver
Hello,

I currently have a bow front tank for my Russian, Roman, but don't have a top on it right now. I have the coconut fiber, soil and rocks as the substrate, a heat lamp and 'log' for him to hide in. We would like to make my tortoise enclosure so it holds more heat and moisture. I may switch out the entire set up but would like to keep the tank I have if possible. I can't find photos online of any conversions of the tanks that are suitable except one. Have any of you converted a bow front tank into a suitable habitat for your tortoise? If so, please post photos. Also, how can I keep heat and moisture in? Most of the tables I see, have no cover and minimal places for the tortoise to burrow. Looking for the right enclosure to build has been extremely frustrating. Do I keep the heat lamp where he will be sleeping? If not, how far away from where he is sleeping shall I place it? Also, I'm getting conflicting information on whether or not to use the red night lamp. HELP!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How old is your russian and please include photos so that other can help and enjoy

MSandK

Denver
I believe that he is about 3 years old. I got him from someone online who said that they've had him for a year and that the previous owners (their neighbors) had him for 2 years and purchased him from PetSmart unfortunately. He is about 5 1/2 - 6" and is healthy and happy according to the vet. I've had him since September of 2018. The photo of the aquarium is when we first got him. He now has fake plants over his hiding area and the lamp is hung lower into the enclosure and is a double lamp with the UV and Red light. The third picture is what I would like to do to his enclosure but want the best advice to do it right or change it up if I need to. I obviously would have shallower water dish and not use grass, but I like the ramp.

IMG_4362.jpg IMG_3938.jpg a31aac21fc46db669d74ff24dce0614f.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I hate to shoot you down, but that's not nearly big enough for a full grown Russian tortoise. Because of the 4" rule pet stores can't sell tortoises unless they're 4" from front to back. It takes Russian tortoises more than five years to get that big. So he's probably about 10 years old or full grown.

A plexiglass cover would hold in the heat. You can cut a hole for the light. As it is now, your light is too high to be doing much good.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Please read our Russian tortoise care sheet, in that section. Your setup needs some changes for your torts sake. Red lights can cause him to eat things he is not supposed to. They are attracted to red.

MSandK

Denver
Yvonne, I'm not offended at all. That's why I came here, to find out how to properly care for him. I haven't owned a tortoise since I was a child, over 30 years ago. I did hang the light deeper into the aquarium. I am just trying to find the best way to make an enclosure for him or to convert the tank. Cheryl. Thank you!

MSandK

Denver
Also, can one of you answer my question on where is best to hang the light? Should it be close to where he sleeps or at the further end of an enclosure? I decided I will likely just build a new enclosure for him.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Put a bar or piece of wood across the top and hang it from that. If that makes it to close, build something around the aquarium and do the same thing. I know you said you are going to build an enclosure, just be aware, russiantortoises require at least a 8 X 4 enclosure size.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Before I changed to closed chambers, I hung the day light towards one end and the night heat towards the other. The hiding place was on the night side. Now with closed chamber, the fluorescent tube light is in the middle and the radiant heat panel is the roof of the hiding place.