Heat for young Russian tortoise

Ciera Stewart

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Hey! I've had Woodhouse for under a year now and this is my first summer in Colorado with him. I have a heat lamp and everything for him setup just fine I just had a question, since my house during the day right now is about 85 degrees, if his heat lamp is also on his tank can get to almost 100 degrees.. Is that too hot for him? Should I keep the heat lamp on or turn it off if it's that hot?
Thank you! :)

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely too hot what kind of lamp is this? Can you put it on a thermostat? A basking area at 100 degrees is probably ok but not the whole cage.

Ciera Stewart

Colorado
Definitely too hot what kind of lamp is this? Can you put it on a thermostat? A basking area at 100 degrees is probably ok but not the whole cage.
It's just a 70 watt heat bulb I think from the pet store, he only has a 20 gallon tank since he's just a baby and he can go inside his log on the other side of he needs to but he just chills in the middle all day basking.

Ciera Stewart

Colorado
I would personally turn it off, but definitely wait for another opinion:)
I turned it off earlier when I saw how hot it was. I wasnt sure if he was just basking or if he was too hot.. He spreads his legs all out and puts his head down on the dirt.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It's just a 70 watt heat bulb I think from the pet store, he only has a 20 gallon tank since he's just a baby and he can go inside his log on the other side of he needs to but he just chills in the middle all day basking.

A 20 gallon is definitely too small for a baby, and why it gets too hot. You need at least a 40 gallon, a 4x2 foot enclosure being optimal until it reaches 4 inches or so. Then, it should be moved to a 4x8 foot (minimum) enclosure.

Ciera Stewart

Colorado
A 20 gallon is definitely too small for a baby, and why it gets too hot. You need at least a 40 gallon, a 4x2 foot enclosure being optimal until it reaches 4 inches or so. Then, it should be moved to a 4x8 foot (minimum) enclosure.
Ok I will get him a bigger enclosure!! I just read it needs to be 5x his width and 12x his length and that's what it is right now..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok I will get him a bigger enclosure!! I just read it needs to be 5x his width and 12x his length and that's what it is right now..
Those are arbitrary numbers that somebody made up and posted on a website. Or they may have read it on someone else's website or book that made it up.

Our numbers are arbitrary and made up too, but they are based on several people's recommendations that have several decades of experience with this species and others. Your tortoise might not die tomorrow from being in a tank that is too small, but a larger tank will allow more room for exercise, which helps with digestions, and it will allow you to establish a better heat gradient. A large space will also result in less stress as tortoises don't "like" small accommodations.

If the basking area directly under the heat lamp is 100 and the ambient in the room is 85, then you are good. You won't need night heat unless its dropping below 65ish.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
My Russian loves a basking spot between 97-103 normally, the lowest temp in my enclosure at the opposite end is around 75. I also feel Russians actually benefit from a temperature dip at night. My night temps can go down to around 60-65f.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
My Russian loves a basking spot between 97-103 normally, the lowest temp in my enclosure at the opposite end is around 75. I also feel Russians actually benefit from a temperature dip at night. My night temps can go down to around 60-65f.