Box turtle biting

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
I have 3 box turtles and lately the one has been biting the leg of the other turtle. I separated her and she seemed to be depressed. I had put her back and they were fine for about 3 days. Then after the 3 days she started biting again. They are all females. They have all been together for 4 years and I never had a problem like this before.

Any ideas as to why she's biting her?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sometimes when a female wants her eggs fertilized she gets a bit aggressive. It's usually a seasonal thing and should stop when summer rolls around.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Sometimes when a female wants her eggs fertilized she gets a bit aggressive. It's usually a seasonal thing and should stop when summer rolls around.

I was thinking something along those lines. I just wasn't sure since she never behaved this way in the past. But thank you!

Eric Zukowski

I have never seen a female act in this way maybe because I always have males with them. I agree you should have at least 1 male with them.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
I have never seen a female act in this way maybe because I always have males with them. I agree you should have at least 1 male with them.

Im starting to think I may have to. She's being relentless so she is staying seperated for nown