• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Box turtle & eggs

Shonda.B

Location (City and/or State)
Arcadia, Missouri
Hi everyone newbie here! I got the surprise of a lifetime the other day! My daughters box turtle “Jack” laid eggs! (I completely forgot turtles laid eggs and was trying hard to convince my 3rd old her boy turtle was a girl and laid eggs like her chickens 🤣)
Well now “jack “ 1st laid 2 eggs 1 was opened and the other was slightly dented. I marked said dented egg an placed in a contain pitting soil and watered it to moist. At 82 degrees. Two days go by jack gives me 2 more eggs both pretty dented again marked an placed with other egg.

Do they normally lay more eggs in one sitting or do they spread them out?

Are the fertile ? She’s by herself ? We’ve had her for about 7 months.

Are dented eggs ok?

How do I tail if she will have more ??

**i have no clue what I’m doing, lol I have a farm and turtle hatching wasnt on my plan. But it’s so exciting ***

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They can hold sperm for a while, so if she was with a male in her previous life, the eggs might be viable. However, it has been my experience that eggs deposited on top of the ground, and not in a nest, aren't fertile.

Keep the medium moist and in three months you may (or may not) have some new babies! Good luck.