box turtle hatchling feeding

Wdt77

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Michigan
when feeding worms or meat, do you feed it cold from the refrigerator or do you let the food item get to room temperature?

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. What species of box turtle do you have? do you know how old? I have a desert box turtle. When I feed my box turtle (only 8 months old) he is in shallow warm water. This was the best way for me to get him to eat. He was only 15 grams when I got him. I rinse off his meal worms and earth worms quickly under warm water, before I feed it to him. I do cook the meat and let it cool. please post pictures of your turtle. I'm not an expert. This is what I do.

Attachments

• PXL_20221115_150039997.jpg
    PXL_20221115_150039997.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 5

Wdt77

5 Year Member
West Michigan
Welcome to the forum. What species of box turtle do you have? do you know how old? I have a desert box turtle. When I feed my box turtle (only 8 months old) he is in shallow warm water. This was the best way for me to get him to eat. He was only 15 grams when I got him. I rinse off his meal worms and earth worms quickly under warm water, before I feed it to him. I do cook the meat and let it cool. please post pictures of your turtle. I'm not an expert. This is what I do.

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpeg
    IMG_0294.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
What species is your turtle? I'm not an expert and don't know. It is cute

Wdt77

5 Year Member
West Michigan
The little one is a Chinese box turtle, 8 months old. It was eating the mazuri pellets when I first got it but now it is just eating when I give it red wigglers and ground turkey both of which I keep in the fridge.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
The little one is a Chinese box turtle, 8 months old. It was eating the mazuri pellets when I first got it but now it is just eating when I give it red wigglers and ground turkey both of which I keep in the fridge.
Very cute. What is your turtle's name?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would not give them cold food, whatever species they are.