box turtle hatchling not eating, injury to face

Status
Not open for further replies.

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hello!
I've browsed these forums a bunch but am a new member, and this is my first time posting.
I have a Florida box turtle (Beans), and she apparently laid eggs without me knowing! Eight days ago two little babies (Popeye and Pinto Bean) emerged from the ground. One of them is happy and healthy as can be, eating anything wiggly AND fruit!

The other, Popeye, received an injury before I found him -- a possible bite from healthy brother, although we are unsure of the cause. The left side of his face was injured, resulting in the loss of use of his eyeball (the eye is still in there, he just can't open it because his face got pretty messed up), and a bit of torn up skin. I took him to the wildlife hospital locally and he is all cleaned up and healing pretty well, but he still isn't eating. This is where I need help!
I've read in some places that it's normal for an animal with a traumatic injury to not eat. He HAS been drinking, and he has pooped 4 times (but not since Sunday)...I'm supposing that this could be either from his yolk sac, or he could have eaten something while he was in mama's enclosure before I found him.
Anyway, it has been 8 days and he isn't eating anything. Not even interested as far as I can tell.
I've tried red wigglers, mini meal worms, phoenix worms, wax worms, butter worms, pinhead crickets...I've ordered roly polys/pill bugs and they're on their way. I've tried black berries, strawberries, blueberries, hibiscus flower, kale, and romaine for not wiggly foods. And also turtle food sticks soaked in water. I've tried feeding while he is soaking and while he is not soaking. I've tried smashing up food with water and trying to feed him with a medicine dropper. I don't really know what else to do other than wait and hope he eats.

Any suggestions? I'm really worried about my little guy.

Thanks so much in advance.

--also, I attached a photo of him (his good side...I don't have any of his busted side on the computer I'm on). But he sure is cute! I'm so in love :D

Attachments

• 969809_10151738406541702_871872312_n.jpg
    969809_10151738406541702_871872312_n.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 110

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

He really is a little cutie pie. I hope you can get him started eating. I have had luck starting baby box turtles eating by using the small black worms that you buy to feed your aquarium fish. I put a bunch of the worms into the soaking water (a small tub that the babies can't climb out of), and then I get out of their sight and leave them alone for a half hour or so.

See if you can buy some of this from your vet:

You can sometimes find it at feed stores too...but it's in short supply and hard to find.

If you can't find that one, then try to find this one:

If you can find the first one, use it three times a day on the bad eye. The medication in the ointment really is a miracle drug. It has worked wonders for me on bad turtle eyes.

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida

Yvonne! Thanks so much for the info! I went to our local fish store and they are getting black worms in tomorrow, so I will be getting those ASAP.
For the Terramycin, does it have to be the specific one pictured? Are there different dosages or strengths or anything that could be harmful? I don't know much about those types of things, so forgive me for sounding dumb haha.

Thanks so much :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes...the product pictured is the Pfizer brand.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Terramycin is off the market and no longer being produced. Pfizer was bought out and many products are gone. There are plenty of generic Erythromycin ointments on the market that are exactly the same as Terramycin (which is just a proprietary name like "Kleenex").

Make sure you use it 3x a day for minimum 7 days to avoid antibiotic resistance. If that doesn't help, then try a triple antibiotic. Do not use any product with dexamethasone or hydrocortisone as both will delay wound healing.

[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][TURTLE][GROWING HEART]

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
Thank you both! I actually went ahead and purchased the Vetericyn since it has no steroids or antibiotics, and has some really great reviews as well (the Terramycin had some great reviews, but I am worried about the antibiotic. Although if this Vetericyn doesn't work I will be buying that next). It will arrive tomorrow so we will see how it goes! I'll also bet getting black worms tomorrow, and my pill bugs are on their way from Carolina Pet Supply (if anyone has any advice on less expensive pill bugs, that would be fabulous).

Does anyone have any feelings about soaking in Pedialyte? I've seen it mentioned here and there but are wondering if anyone has had success with it, or if it is worth trying? Would Pedialyte be beneficial for my little guy?

Thank you thank you thank you, and I will post an update with any news!

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
So, I got him to eat a LITTLE. He ate ONE black worm (how is that even possible haha). The Friday he ate 3 pill bugs. And yesterday he had 2 and a half pill bugs. But that's it. And this morning I went to get some pill bugs from the container and they all were dead. Obnoxious. Does anyone know where to buy them besides Carolina Pet Supply???

Also, I've been using the vetericyn on his eye...which seems to be helping! His eye is actually opening about half way, although I'm not sure that he can actually seen anything out of it.

Also, I'm working on a blog following the lives of my two little babies, if anyone would like to see photos and learn more, I'd love for you to check out my blog!
TinyTurtleJourney.com

Thanks!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I love your blog!! Your little guys are adorable!
I really enjoyed reading about them! :)

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks! I'll be posting again soon (with more photos!), so feel free to check it periodically! I hope to entertain people by sharing my adorable turtles, but also raise awareness about box turtles (and turtles/tortoises in general) and their plights.
Thanks for your support :)

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I LOVE your blog!! Its informative and entertaining! We have so many similarities. :). I'm thinking about expanding my gardening blog to also include one for my boxies, but the forum is easiest for me now. Ill definitely keep following yours! My Chuy isn't much older than your Popeye and Pinto Bean. :)

My Loves:
My Husband
2 Dogs
2 Three toed box turtles
1 Betta fish

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
txturtle13 said:
I LOVE your blog!!

Thanks so much for checking it out! I hope you continue to enjoy it :) If you start up a blog about yours definitely let me know so I can follow!

reagansymone

5 Year Member
Florida
My babies are both eating really well! The vetericyn helped heal Popeye's eye so much, he's 100% better. I've posted a bunch of photos of the babies eating on the blog tonight, so definitely check it out! They're so cute I can't handle it.
There are even two videos in the post...one shows Popeye turning his head all the way over to the side that was injured--something he couldn't do before! Thank you all so much for your help and advice!

http://tinyturtlejourney.com/

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Let the pill bugs and worms go into the habitat. The ones that don't get eaten will survive to be another day's lunch, and may even reproduce.

Status
Not open for further replies.