box turtle hydration

Agne

She I
Can you take a pic of your boxie and the enclosure. You said you used to have her in a cedar chest. What is she in now? There is a great care sheet on box turtles. Have a look at it. I will see if I can post the thread here or @Yvonne G can you please post the care sheet. I'm on my kindle. Thank you.
Ange the people here will help you and you boxie :)
now she is in peat moss and sphagnum moss mixture that I keep damps he has been eating very wellimage.jpg
Right now she was sleeping so I quickly pulled her out for the picture

Agne

Again, how big is your enclosure? I'm asking because that tells me how much room you have in it. this is my box turtle in her plastic plant saucer.View attachment 117212it's not the best picture but you get the idea, she is drinking from it in the picture. I dump it out and refill it once a day. Sometimes twice. it definitely takes less time than soaking her in the sink. and by the way snails from the yard are very good for your box turtle if your yard does not have pesticides and poisons in it. people are not trying to attack but maybe just trying to get you to think and things a different way. please don't get grumpy on us :) and we won't get grumpy on you :)
Right now I have her in her winter habitat which is 38inch by 19inch her summer outdoor habitat is 18 feet by 6 feet

Heather H

Location (City and/or State)
N.E. ohio
For my hide I used a plastic shoe box with moss a hole cut in the side big enough for her to get in. I don't know much about box turtles.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
She is a pretty little box turtle. your outdoor habitat sounds like a great size, much bigger than mine that is why I plan on enlarging mind the summer. Anyway, you have plenty of room for a terra-cotta or plastic water dish. and you can plant some herb plants in there, she won't eat them but she will like to hide under them. Walmart has them. Depending on how your lights are set up, you can cover part of the enclosure to keep the humidity in.

Agne

She is a pretty little box turtle. your outdoor habitat sounds like a great size, much bigger than mine that is why I plan on enlarging mind the summer. Anyway, you have plenty of room for a terra-cotta or plastic water dish. and you can plant some herb plants in there, she won't eat them but she will like to hide under them. Walmart has them. Depending on how your lights are set up, you can cover part of the enclosure to keep the humidity in.
May you send a pic of your whole turtle habitat even what I see around the dish is pretty

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Okay, Thanks. here is it uncovered and then with my jerryrigged semi ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423020319.414715.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1423020355.563982.jpgclosed chamber type covering to keep in the humidity and heat. It is 150 gallon stock tank. smaller than I would like but I don't have anymore room. it works for the winter.

Heather H

N.E. ohio
A clear shower curtain. it works okay. It is not a true close chamber but it does keep the humidity hire and I was able to use less powerful heat bulbs.it works for adults quite well.
Thanks . Sorry went off subject again :oops:

Agne

WOW that is very nice today i'm gonna try to put in a water dish and maybe a hydration box

Agne

A clear shower curtain. it works okay. It is not a true close chamber but it does keep the humidity hire and I was able to use less powerful heat bulbs.it works for adults quite well.
your enclosure is very natural looking but the curtain can make the air too hot and the turtle can suficate
and after all i'm gonna put in a water dish thanks for your help

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
your enclosure is very natural looking but the curtain can make the air too hot and the turtle can suficate
and after all i'm gonna put in a water dish thanks for your help
It's not too hot I have a temperature gauge in there. And it is not airtight so there is plenty of air. i'm glad you're going to put a water dish in your enclosure.

Agne

It's not too hot I have a temperature gauge in there. And it is not airtight so there is plenty of air. i'm glad you're going to put a water dish in your enclosure.
the reason I took it out because she would get the substrate in the water and barely use besides the water I put in the sink is fresh natural spring water
we live in the mountains so we have an underground stream with minerals filtrating it

but now in gonna put in there a water dish and a hydration box