Box Turtle Questions

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Freeland Michigan
Thank you for your past answers to my questions...I have a few more.

First of all I'm trying to figure out the best way to use this forum. If I have questions regarding box turtles, is there a forum subset for those topics, and if so, how do I get there?

Ok turtle questions

1) I feel bad pulling the turtle out when she's burrowed down in the substrate...seems this would be like rousting someone out of a deep sleep in the middle of a dream. But, if I want to give her a soak, or have some fresh worms, what is the alternative?

2) I bought Eco Earth for the substrate....it seemed powdery and dry so I mixed in some Jungle mix which is a mix of ground up fir and the coconut coir, I believe. My concern is it seems to have some fine sticks and sharply pointed debris in the mix...seems it could poke an eye when shes burrowing.

3) just curious...perhaps personality.. perhaps species..how do the different types of turtles and tortoises compare in terms of activity levels (I'm sure temperature plays a big role as well)

ZenHerper

New Jersey
If you click on Forums at the top of the page, it will bring you to the main site menu. This is the quickest way to find any section, even those where you have read all the latest threads.

Fresh coco bedding is dusty...you have to add water and check daily to make sure it stays sufficiently hydrated. When properly moistened, bark chips and shards are not a hazard.

Dry = Bad.

Any box turtle that has sufficient territory size and interest will be plenty active. Animals confined to small enclosures that are bare (boring, too much exposure) will be sluggish and sedentary. Depressed animals will be less fun to watch, and less inclined to interact with you. Transplanted animals tend to be depressed and need some period of adjustment. Provide enough cover so that it can move from hide-to-hideout throughout the day.

Optimally, once your critter knows you and your schedule, it will be more apt to get moving on time. If you are trying to establish a morning soak, make sure to give an adequate wake-up/warm-up time. Turn on the lights, then go get coffee, blah, blah. Reptiles don't just charge out of bed after an overnight cooling period. An animal that is unsure of its safety will stay hidden.

Barber25

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Freeland Michigan
All your advice makes so much sense, it's almost self evident-- but I'd rather be safe than sorry..I was searching "box turtles" now I know its "American box turtles" glad I have a new hobby!