Best substrate for box turtles

Rachel1998

Location (City and/or State)
Waterford MI
I bought jungle mix from petsmart but it has little wood chips in it that stick to my turtle Rambos skin so i'm just wondering what everyone has found works best with box turtles I was thinking about doing a mix of the coconut fiber top soil but just wanted some opinions first
thanks! :)

Terri123

edmonton
OMG this is EXACTLY what I want to know!! My box turtle, Toby, hates the wood chips! I just posted a threat, asking the best substrate...

Terri123

edmonton
Coco coir, peat moss and sphagnum moss all work well individually and in combination.

So.. for purchasing this substrate... dumb question, but can one literally look on Amazon for coco coir? and any form of peat moss? And do you recommend that it is baked in the oven, to destroy any potential mites ...? (I'm in Alberta, so have to purchase the substrate from either Petsmart or Amazon on-line) Thank you!

Terri123

edmonton
OK, so I just researched this- I have used the coco coir in the past, and it does work well, but does make a big mess in the water bowl. My understanding is that Cypress mulch is excellent, as well, (seehttps://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/is-cypress-mulch-safe.122913/) but you want to make sure their food is in a food bowl, to try to lessen the risk of them ingesting the mulch - that's my understanding anyhow. I'm going to give it a shot, but add a bit of moss as recommended, and see how it goes ...:)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
So.. for purchasing this substrate... dumb question, but can one literally look on Amazon for coco coir? and any form of peat moss? And do you recommend that it is baked in the oven, to destroy any potential mites ...? (I'm in Alberta, so have to purchase the substrate from either Petsmart or Amazon on-line) Thank you!
Yes, I order from Amazon and I freeze my substrates for a few weeks before I use them.

Terri123

edmonton
That's a really good idea, thank you.
And I did find coco coir, and peat moss- Duh!