Box Turtle Shell Maintenance

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
Once again hello everyone!

So this is Oliver inside his home. My dad found found Oliver in late September in the middle of the street in a neighborhood.
When we got him to the house I right away noticed how beat up his shell was. I later took him to the vet and besides finding out he had a minor RI the vet ruled him as healthy.
However as of now I began to notice his shell is beginning to chip away. I'm not sure if this is normal but I am concerned.
Oliver eats fruits and live worms. I sprinkle calcium and vitamin supplements into his food. He isn't so much into veggies but we are working on that. He continues to be alert and active but I am concerned about his shell and was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve it??
I also bought this tropical mist that has vitamin B1 and B2 and aloe vera in it and I try to spray it on him and his home at least once every 2 days.
Anyone have any suggestions? Any would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 44

gabby.santana

California
I use coconut fiber and it's really wet always that's why it looks so dark. I spray it down every day in the morning and once again at night with warm water. I will switch his water saucer with a much bigger one. Thank you!

gabby.santana

California
I should mention that it is only his shell that appears dry, as for his skin it's never dry he gets plenty of soaks and the substrate along with the moss inside his hut provides him with moisturized skin.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
His enclosure does not look dry to me. I think his shell will be fine as long as he is kept humid with damp substrate to burrow in.

Kait Ranae

Does he have a basking heat lamp and auvb/uva light? 100% must, unless hes living outdoors with no roof.