My box turtle is being picky again.

gabby.santana

Location (City and/or State)
California
Oliver hasn't eaten for about 3 days. He is starting to look thin to me.

A couple months back he wasn't eating like he used too so I switched earth worms to meal worms and he loved them.

Now he doesn't touch his meal worms. I feed him a mix of fruits and veggies every morning. And he only makes a mess of things. He really doesn't like veggies tho.

I have let him outside occasionally when the days have been bright and sunny and I'm not sure if he is just upset that he's not outside in his big enclosure.

For those that don't know, my dad found Oliver about 2 years ago and no one reclaimed him. His shell isn't all that nice looking. Not sure where he got all his wounds from.

Don't even know his age.

I just want him to eat again . IMG-20180105-WA0001.jpg

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
I live in Calfornia also. We have three box turtles in 5x10 outdoor enclosures. They slowed down and stopped eating back in October. They have been brumating since November. I will not see them active and eating well until March. Oliver probably has lost his appetite because he knows it is winter. Even when kept mostly inside turtles are aware of the season. You must keep him warm with long artificial day light hours. But even doing this the turtle will slow down.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
My 3-toes have gotten pickier lately. I presume it's the time of year. If it doesn't wiggle, no dice. Except for a mouthful or 2 of banana or mango.
I give them a few superworms every few days now (raised on superfoods like moringa), but they would probably eat mountains of them if i let them. They do respond with alacrity.
It's normal for them to eat less in winter.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My box turtles will only eat live food at this time of year. They are all picky in january!

jakskillz

Georgia
My box turtles are all different with what foods they prefer. They love the occasional worm, hornworm, pinky, banana, peach, strawberry but to get them to eat healthy food it’s better to dice up a mix of their favorite non live treats with healthy veggies and slowly use less of the treat item. My girls eat everything but I found out some of my boys have been burying their food. What temp do you keep yours at? Mine are now indoors and are kept consistent between 70-85 depending on where they are in the setups. I had to pull mine out from my outdoor enclosures when it was dropping down to 50s at night because of potential risks. They hadn’t hibernated yet but started eating only 1-2 a week.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
My 3-toes have gotten pickier lately. I presume it's the time of year. If it doesn't wiggle, no dice. Except for a mouthful or 2 of banana or mango.
I give them a few superworms every few days now (raised on superfoods like moringa), but they would probably eat mountains of them if i let them. They do respond with alacrity.
It's normal for them to eat less in winter.

Well actually...
This morning my little Rorg did not want banana, but ate 4 superworms. Would have eaten more but i don't want to feed too many of those.
But then Felter, who is older, was mostly interested in banana. He ate one superworm too, then carried another around a while before dropping it, apparently uninjured, and walking away.
He also likes a bit of kiwi at times.