Box turtle sneezing/screaming

xyhapu

Location (City and/or State)
VA
I was always intrigued by the knowledge that turtles can make various noises. Until now, the only sounds I've heard my ~6month old box turtle make are the occasional 'quack' while eating and farts. Well, this morning he/she seemingly ate a slug wrong (must've gone down the wrong hole) and this was the result:

I gave him a soak afterwards, he dunked his head a few times and it seemed to clear up. Still keeping a closer eye on him today, but seems fine now - I even gave him a couple more slugs a few minutes ago because he was throwing a hunger tantrum, they were eaten without further incident.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Close call.

Turtles don't have vocal chords - the sounds they make are incidental to forcible in-breaths or out-breaths. Seems like your wee one got his swallowing and breathing mixed up.

Personally, I'm sure if I ate a slug, I would gag on it...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know your not asking but I'm going to say it anyway. The enclosure is too small. Should be at least double the size it is. I understand he is small, but they still need room to roam and build muscle and keep things inside working properly. Also too small an enclosure makes it hard to regulate proper temps.

xyhapu

VA
I know your not asking but I'm going to say it anyway. The enclosure is too small. Should be at least double the size it is. I understand he is small, but they still need room to roam and build muscle and keep things inside working properly. Also too small an enclosure makes it hard to regulate proper temps.

Yes he definitely needs an upgrade, he's growing dang fast! (I've had to enlarge the openings to his hides twice already, it was quite pitiful watching him try to squeeze in.) Currently I have something a little bigger I want to move him into, I am gradually acclimating him to it since he acts stressed when he is away from what he considers his homes (he also has an outdoor enclosure, I need to get an electric fence before he can start staying overnight though).

Here's a pic of his new indoor home that I plan to overwinter him in, and his outdoor home (see if you can spot him!):

Attachments

• IMG_5635.JPG
    IMG_5635.JPG
    760.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5603.JPG
    IMG_5603.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The winter home? It looks smaller then the one hes in now?
Love the outside home. I think I seen him speaking out of a hide under the plant?
The electric fence will not be where he can touch it right? They can't learn like dogs to not touch it again.

xyhapu

VA
The winter home? It looks smaller then the one hes in now?
Love the outside home. I think I seen him speaking out of a hide under the plant?
The electric fence will not be where he can touch it right? They can't learn like dogs to not touch it again.
Thanks, and yep, that's him in the center under that small bit of wood (he's gotten bigger since the photo, he still tries to go 'in' there but the bit of wood just ends up resting on his shell . . .)

His new winter home is about 250 sq inches vs 130 sq inches of the current one, so not hugely bigger (that spherical hide is the same one that's in the video, for an idea of the scale). I was considering adding a second level, or perhaps I should just rethink the whole thing once winter comes, depending on how big he gets. One idea was to connect his old home to his new one with a hamster tube or something, which would also help with re-homing stress.

Ultimately though he will be a 100% outside turtle (and eventually have the run of a large fenced-in garden), I'd just like him to get a little bigger/a few years old before leaving him out all the time and letting him winter outdoors.

For the electric fence, I am planning to put the wire a bit outside, on insulating stakes in between the gray stones. I'm still not sure exactly what fence to buy or if there is a reliable recommended brand. I think I'd like a 12v one to run off of solar/battery if there's a power outage, but other than that I have no idea!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like the idea of connecting the two enclosures. I was going to recommend that. I did it once and used a plastic cup to connect the two. I just cut the bottom off.
I don't know much about electric fences. Just make sure he can't touch it or anything that is touching it.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
electric fences are good , but not fool proof ..... i just seen some guy in florida apparently surprised what appeared a 16-18 inch wall with an electric wire didn't stop raccoons from killing his turtles ...... i got 5-6 foot fences around my whole yard ..... 5 foot chain link into the ground with a bottom rail ,surrounded by 6 foot wood fences , 4 foot fences around the open top pens with an electric wire on the top , dogs loose in the yard 24/7/365 and i've had raccoons get in the pens 2x i know of .......

Lulabee247

Durham
I was always intrigued by the knowledge that turtles can make various noises. Until now, the only sounds I've heard my ~6month old box turtle make are the occasional 'quack' while eating and farts. Well, this morning he/she seemingly ate a slug wrong (must've gone down the wrong hole) and this was the result:

I gave him a soak afterwards, he dunked his head a few times and it seemed to clear up. Still keeping a closer eye on him today, but seems fine now - I even gave him a couple more slugs a few minutes ago because he was throwing a hunger tantrum, they were eaten without further incident.
Aw I hate to laugh but that noise is soooo cute. Awwww love him. Must of been choking tho eh ? I’d have been frantic. Glad he is ok now. ❤️