Screaming

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
OMG! I've never heard a dog make that sound before!!!

So I'm going around this a.m. feeding the tortoises and I just went through the gate into the Texas tortoise yard which is right next door, fenced off, from the pond. All the sudden I hear this TERRIBLE screaming coming from the pond and I thought well, hell, what has she gotten herself into this time. I looked over and Spring was spinning around in circles with this big turtle hanging off her nose, screaming to beat the band. By the time I got over the fence to rescue her the turtle had dropped off. It was the Argentine sideneck, who is about a foot and a half long. Poor Spring. I said, "Well, let's hope that made you learn a lesson!" I just wish something like that could happen with the box turtles and tortoises. I have to be aware of her every minute we're outside and can't leave her alone for a minute.

spring turtle nose 10-20-23.jpg

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Ha Ha Ha ........ I really wonder if it wont teach her about the tortoises as well. Where we live people pay for rattlesnake training. This is a shock collar on the dog and a zap when they introduce the rattlesnake to the snake. Some of those "Trained Dogs" avoid all snakes.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Awww, her dumb puppy brain sure didn't work out for her this time lol. Let's hope she learns a big lesson.
Maybe that's why turtles and dogs shouldn't be together. Not for the safety of the turtle but the dog lol.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ha Ha Ha ........ I really wonder if it wont teach her about the tortoises as well. Where we live people pay for rattlesnake training. This is a shock collar on the dog and a zap when they introduce the rattlesnake to the snake. Some of those "Trained Dogs" avoid all snakes.
That's something to think about. Thanks for the idea.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Poor doggie! But that big turtle! I'm surprised that little bite is all she got from that big turtle...lol

SuzanneZ

Georgetown

So I'm going around this a.m. feeding the tortoises and I just went through the gate into the Texas tortoise yard which is right next door, fenced off, from the pond. All the sudden I hear this TERRIBLE screaming coming from the pond and I thought well, hell, what has she gotten herself into this time. I looked over and Spring was spinning around in circles with this big turtle hanging off her nose, screaming to beat the band. By the time I got over the fence to rescue her the turtle had dropped off. It was the Argentine sideneck, who is about a foot and a half long. Poor Spring. I said, "Well, let's hope that made you learn a lesson!" I just wish something like that could happen with the box turtles and tortoises. I have to be aware of her every minute we're outside and can't leave her alone for a minute.

View attachment 362591
Poor nose.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
How is your dog training going? I was reminded of my advice last night when dealing with "Salt" our pig. I use the "Good" and "Bad" words for discipline and reward.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How is your dog training going? I was reminded of my advice last night when dealing with "Salt" our pig. I use the "Good" and "Bad" words for discipline and reward.
Not good. She just wants to jump! That's why I named her Spring. She has springs in her feet. AT least she's not putting her feet on me when she jumps, but she's still jumping in front of me. She leaps all the time. She runs under a tree and leaps up all four feet off the ground, biting at the branches. She leaps in the middle of the yard, all four feet off the ground if a plane or bird flies over. She does "airs above the ground" better than the lippizan stallions. I'm thinking I need to get her started on a joint supplement in case all that leaping causes hardship on her joints as she lands. She's probably about 50lbs now.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Not good. She just wants to jump! That's why I named her Spring. She has springs in her feet. AT least she's not putting her feet on me when she jumps, but she's still jumping in front of me. She leaps all the time. She runs under a tree and leaps up all four feet off the ground, biting at the branches. She leaps in the middle of the yard, all four feet off the ground if a plane or bird flies over. She does "airs above the ground" better than the lippizan stallions. I'm thinking I need to get her started on a joint supplement in case all that leaping causes hardship on her joints as she lands. She's probably about 50lbs now.
Well at least your not on the receiving end of the jumps. If consistent she should be able to be trained to only jump outside. I wish the best for you and "Air Dog"

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Awww, her dumb puppy brain sure didn't work out for her this time lol. Let's hope she learns a big lesson.
Maybe that's why turtles and dogs shouldn't be together. Not for the safety of the turtle but the dog lol.
Amen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

View attachment 362591
I always put Razberri away when my brother brings his lab over to visit. My brother probably thinks it's to protect my rabbit but it's actually to protect his dog. My dainty little 5 1/2lb rabbit doesn't like being put away for her safety when Molly the lab visits. If I don't get my bunny put away before Molly comes in first, Razberri goes into guard wabbit mode and attacks. Molly is such a wuss she wouldn't be able to handle all that. Dilly will only go so far too.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I always put Razberri away when my brother brings his lab over to visit. My brother probably thinks it's to protect my rabbit but it's actually to protect his dog. My dainty little 5 1/2lb rabbit doesn't like being put away for her safety when Molly the lab visits. If I don't get my bunny put away before Molly comes in first, Razberri goes into guard wabbit mode and attacks. Molly is such a wuss she wouldn't be able to handle all that. Dilly will only go so far too.
Monty Python warned us about this