Box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

super_huge_nutter

5 Year Member
I rescued a pair of box turtles yesterday and would like to see about reintroducing them to the wild. Anyone have any suggestions as to the likelihood of their success, or should i try to find them a good new home? I truly feel this is a species better off out of the pet trade. I dont have the space or money to keep up with food, i took in several other rescues and will have a lot of food cost. Constructive input welcomed:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Well, it depends upon what you mean by "rescued." If they are bought turtles, or came from a pet situation, then, no...they should not be released into the wild. It may be against the law to do so anyway, regardless of where the turtles came from.

I have heard that box turtles will try to find their way home. So if you transplant a box turtle chances are pretty good its going to get run over while trying to find its way back to its home territory. Also, a pet box turtle is used to having the food god drop food in front of it and may not know how to forage for its own food.

If you can't afford to keep them, then try to find a turtle rescue in your area and turn them in.

txturtle13

5 Year Member
I've read many other sources that back up what Yvonne stated. I agree with her.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You run the risk of spreading diseases ino the wild if you let them go as well. Where are you located? I rescue boxies and place them in one of two garden homes I have access to. they live "wild" while having a caretaker guard over them. One of my places is in Dallas Texas and the other is outside of Houston in a small town called Nada. If you rescued them from the road in the wild, you should put them back where you found them facing the direction they were heading in when you found them.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Agreed. Where are you? I'm sure people on this forum would be happy to help you. I will come get them if you are anywhere near me. I work at a veterinary hospital and we are starting to work with a local Chelonian rescue.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.