HELP! Eastern Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rylo922

5 Year Member
I recently rescued two eastern box turtles from a lady and need to know what to do for them. I have a russian tortoise, but do not know what I need to do different for the box turtles. They are in very poor condtion. One has only three legs and the other is missing its tail. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

txturtle13

5 Year Member
Good for you for taking them in! There's a TON of information in the box turtle forum section. They require different care and diet than Russian torts but your experience with your tort is a wonderful start.

They do need to be soaked, like RT. They are omnivorous (red wiggler worms, crickets, pill bugs, clovers, cucumber, strawberry, etc).

Pictures help. And your location.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Easterns need water. They can swim quite well and will do very good with a "pool" in their habitat. Damp leaf litter is great for them. They NEED protein and lots of it. Try worms. Earth worms, super worms, crikets... They love fruit and can have it. Mine love bananna and mango. Strawberrys are a favorite as well. Try to get them to eat some veggies. Squash, tomato etc.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Re: RE: HELP! Eastern Box Turtle

Saleama said:
Easterns need water. They can swim quite well and will do very good with a "pool" in their habitat. Damp leaf litter is great for them. They NEED protein and lots of it. Try worms. Earth worms, super worms, crikets... They love fruit and can have it. Mine love bananna and mango. Strawberrys are a favorite as well. Try to get them to eat some veggies. Squash, tomato etc.

They are not water turtles. They float and paddle if they need to. Large shallow water dish filled with water up to half or 3/4 of their shell is sufficient. Make sure they can get in and out easily. Banana is not the best choice. Berries, cantaloupe, figs are better options. They like it humid and moist. Warm but not hot.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

Oh, They love rain and become very active and alert. You can mist them with garden house daily for as long as you can take it.

sent from mobile device using TFO app

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
For indoor and outdoor pens I use pyrex 8x8" glass baking dishes for make shift ponds. Planter saucers work, but the glass is so much easier to clean. It makes it just deep enough, not to deep, set down almost level with the substrate it will make it easy for them to get in and out. Easy to clean and change the water.

Yes, they'll eat worms and bugs. They need lots of protien, some greens, vegies and fruits.

Absolutely read the fourm for Box Turtles and care sheets, they'll help alot!

Here's a care sheet: http://www.tortoise.org/general/boxcare.html

Status
Not open for further replies.