Boxies breeding late in year...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
My box turtles are still breeding and it is quite late in the year. I live in North Texas so we still have a month or so of good temps left, but no where near enough to hatch eggs. My question is, will they lay this late in the year? I know they have been doing this for millions of years but I am concerned that they might drop a clutch or two that will die in the fall/winter months. Should I be concerned or let turtles do what turtles do?
We got 14 babies over the last two seasons but none this year that we have found. The garden is pretty big, 25 x 25 and it is completly grown over with veggie and wild native N. Texas plants so if they do not pop up and wave their little arms we would not normally find them. Hopefully, if there are any hatchlings, they are buried well and will make it through the winter.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would let nature take its course. If buried deep enough, they'll survive. The thing is, this late in the game, not ma h hatchings make it. That's why when I find them coming from the ground, I take them in for the winter and release them in the spring.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The thing is, the dog that used to find them has died so we went from findin 14 over two years to none this year. My uncle will "till" the garden in late october so any we find will winter inside, but there is no way that any eggs they might lay will survive. Will they even lay eggs this late or will they save up that loven for the spring? I have a beautiful blue faced three toed that was breeding like a rabbit two weeks ago and I imagine any babies she has would be awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Box turtles (of course, there is always the exception to the rule, but USUALLY...) will breed any time, but more active breeding in the spring. Then, if the conditions aren't right for egg laying/nest digging, the female will just hold onto the sperm until the timing is right for her to make a nest. She will nest in the spring and the babies will hatch around September. Sometimes baby box turtles stay in the ground after hatching, and over-winter, coming up in the spring.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How much work would it be for you to spot check for nests? When your uncle tills the garden, is there any chance he may hit upon some nest?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
The garden is wild grown for the turtles (he does not plant in rows but by throwing seeds and planting sprouts randomly). I could spot check but have you ever seen a boxie nest? They are darn hard to spot out in the open let alone in a jungle of peppers, cucumbers and tomatoes as well as native north Texas plants. He usually finds them in late September early October with a few the dog found coming in mid to late August. That is why I believe there are babies already in there. It is good to know that they will hold off laying if conditions are not right. I will of course keep posting as we find or do not find any babies this year. I have tried to get my Uncle to start using a laying area but he insists that he is not a breeder and any hatchlings that we get will have to be done the old fashioned way ala natural. I somewhat agree except that they babies are in a garden he replants every season. lol...

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I suggest this. It's what I do to find loose hatchlings in my yard.

I place 4x4 pieces of wood panel randomly around the perimeter of the yard and a few in the middle. The wood panel is heavy enough to smash the grass down but not heavy enough that a baby box turtle couldn't go under it. I leave them like that for 2 months (sept-oct). I check underneath them every couple of days and often will be surprised by finding hatchlings hiding underneath them. In the past 7 years I have only accidentally killed one yearling by cutting the grass that wasn't found the year before as a hatchling . And I usually find 15-20 loose hatchlings a year.

So if you will eventually till the ground I would try something of this nature before doing so.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Oh man,i hope u find them in time...keep on checking,and let us know,
Good luck

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My Uncle texted me this afternoon! He found 2 Ornate-three toed babies while weeding. They were dug in near the roots of the weeds! They still have their egg tooth and he says they are about the size of a quarter. No pics yet but I hope to get some soon. Usually, once he finds a few, he starts finding them every few days!.. I can't wait to go see these little guys. I'll keep posting here.

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
how exciting, make sure to take some pictures and keep us posted

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
We found another one. That makes three. I am going to go pick them up this weekend or next, as soon as I have the Juvenile habitat completed and can clear up some space for the new babies! Picks soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.