Boy? Girl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
When and how will I be able to tell if Genevieve's a girl or boy? I have a idea from all these posts but I would like to get a good idea. Thanks you :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
4 inches is no gaurantee. I didn't know my male was a boy until he was 19 inches and he flashed his males stuff at me. Some have taken longer and some have done it earlier. Just really hard to tell sometimes...

Brittany6

5 Year Member
"she" is only 2 or 3 inches big. I'm just trying to remember the signs

jaizei said:
hmmm. Should I? :p:p:p

Of course. :D

OMG!!!!!!!!!! How do the girls take that!?!!? That's scary!!! Wow!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=37OP7UrMqUk

And I think 4" is a bit small to tell. It's not until they're quite a bit bigger. But like Dmarcus said, there are some that you don't know until they 'show' you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sometimes you can tell pretty early on and other times it takes a few years to be sure. There is also the matter of temp sexing. If they were incubated at 90, you can be pretty sure they are female. If they were incubated at 84, you can be pretty sure they are all male. Not guaranteed 100%, but most of the time that's how it will be.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Tom when you say a few years? 5/ 6, then if they start flashing- how often? I was looking on line last night at a bunch of sites you guys recommend on different threads about male / female and I think Willie might be willamena...

View attachment 15698

View attachment 15699

Ok here are the best I could get of the plastron.. Anyone? Of course that post was not enjoyed at all. I won't hold anyone to their guesses... Except Tom because he is my tort hero, lol just kidding no pressure.... Thanks again....

View attachment 15700

Jaizei?.. Wow that video needed a cigarette at the end... you could have warned me a little better.

Lol.. Mine has not showed me anything ever like that and truthfully I hope not my 14 year olds may be jealous....

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
it really looks female to me, but I've only had 2 males and they both started flagging at about 6 or 7 years old.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Well- it's Abril---- , Willie is going to stay Willie no one in the house like wilamena or willow but SHE followed me around the whole backyard today and I was singing Willie girl and she kept bobbing her head. My family thinks I'm crazy ... Lol.. Always wanted a girl...

I mean it's a GIRL....

Thanks so much for everyone's input....

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
A simple way to tell the sex of your Sulcata is when they are big enough the bottom of a females shell will be flat, the males will be concave. Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Primary indicators for male:
Concave plastron
Large gular scutes
Anal scutes form a wide open "V"
Large tail, often held to the side and will reach the leg
Of course, "flashing"
Big masculine looking head

Primary indicators for female:
Totally flat plastron
Small gulars
Anal scutes form a "U"
Small tail, often tiny, like a 1/2 inch or less
Egg laying, opposite of flashing. :)
Smaller more feminine looking head

Some of this is subjective. Like the head size and gulars. Some sulcatas sow signs in the first few months, most of them take years to really start showing signs. Often behavior can be an indicator, but that one is highly variable and subjective. When I make a guess, I examine all these things collectively.

These two photos are of two of my adult females. Notice the size of the tail.
5xrgiq.jpg

73h2jn.jpg

These two are of my small adult males. Notice the tail size, huge, in comparison to the tiny little nub of the females. And you can see the concavity of the plastron too. Also notice the huge difference in the anal scutes.
sor706.jpg

20fqjhi.jpg

mary t said:
Tom when you say a few years? 5/ 6, then if they start flashing- how often? I was looking on line last night at a bunch of sites you guys recommend on different threads about male / female and I think Willie might be willamena...

Ok here are the best I could get of the plastron.. Anyone? Of course that post was not enjoyed at all. I won't hold anyone to their guesses... Except Tom because he is my tort hero, lol just kidding no pressure.... Thanks again....

mary t, the anal scutes and gulars on yours have not started to change yet. I also can't tell if there is any plastron concavity from the pics. My last good indicator is hidden in the shadows. Can you try for a pic that shows the actual tail? Right now I can't make a good guess. If she is 5/6 and not flashing yet, you might very well have a female, but one of my males in the above pics has never flashed that I have ever seen. The other male in the other pic flashed several times for me between the ages of 5 and 9. I'm leaning toward female for yours, but a good view of the tail might confirm or deny that. Either way, it is still too early to tell for sure.

bubbles01

5 Year Member
Corfu, Greece
Tom - These are two of your SMALL adult males...???!! OMG - how big are the ones you call large males?! Are we talking the infamous 'Bob' size here??

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Ok Tom. In the sun light tomorrow I will get better pictures... And don't worry it would be nice for a guess but I wont hold you to it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
bubbles01 said:
Tom - These are two of your SMALL adult males...???!! OMG - how big are the ones you call large males?! Are we talking the infamous 'Bob' size here??

Those males are around 50 pounds in those pics. A normal big male would be over 100, sometimes 150. There is a member here with some torts from one particular part of the range and some of his are 200+. So yes, in the grand scheme of things, I think my males are pretty small. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.