Boy or girl?

ladyengineer

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether my Tunisian Tort Pegasus is a boy or a girl? His tail's grown quite a bit in the last year...

He is about 3 years old now, I don't know if this is old enough to tell yet?

He recently started ramming things every now and then. Mostly brightly coloured objects and my boyfriend's feet, I know the boys do most of the ramming but I've heard that some females kept in isolation will also do this. Pegasus is my only tortoise.

2015-06-20 13.07.06.jpg 2015-06-20 13.06.17.jpg 2015-06-20 13.05.06.jpg
2015-06-20 13.07.06.jpg 2015-06-20 13.06.17.jpg 2015-06-20 13.05.06.jpg

ladyengineer

This is the thing, I just couldn't be sure, but I wasn't sure if it's cos he's just too little. I can wait till he's older :)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to to you and your cute little tort; to the forum.

I can't tell, and have a feeling it's still too small.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Beautiful tort.
Little bit pyramided though.
Make sure your humidity is up.
Could be a pretty girl or a handsome boy.
hedging my bets.

ladyengineer

Beautiful tort.
Little bit pyramided though.
Make sure your humidity is up.
Could be a pretty girl or a handsome boy.
hedging my bets.

Thanks! I agree regarding the pyramiding and asked for help about 6 months ago and others on the forum gave the same advice. I've changed his substrate from beech chips (recommended by the breeder) to moist coco coir and he gets soaked now (which the breeder told me could cause issues if done too often). His new growth is already smoothing out, but it will probably take some more time to show properly.

ladyengineer

Soooo, I think we have an answer to the boy/girl question! Pegasus appeared to be straining a fair amount today and when I picked him up a big purple thing was sticking out of his tail.

Fairly sure he's a boy, flashing his junk at me. Gave me quite a shock, it was HUGE!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's interesting to know. With the split scute I would have guessed female. However, the cloaca's 'slit' shape says male too. Testudo female cloaca openings are star shaped.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Soooo, I think we have an answer to the boy/girl question! Pegasus appeared to be straining a fair amount today and when I picked him up a big purple thing was sticking out of his tail.

Fairly sure he's a boy, flashing his junk at me. Gave me quite a shock, it was HUGE!
Yep, a big surprise the first time!!!:)
As long as it went back in safely, it's fine.
You'll probably be seeing a lot more of it!!

ladyengineer

As soon as I picked him up he pulled it all back in like he was embarrassed! It was like a massive earthworm! If I hadn't seen pics on the forum before I'd be freaking out trying to find a vet!