Brahminy river turtle?

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Well, I did a quick internet search and THERE IS SUCH A THING!!!
I TOTALLY never imagined this could be! :confused: But it looks like there sure enough IS such a thing!!!!:D
Yes i came across the name so I googled it and sure enough I read they lay their eggs underwater. Could not believe that was a real turtle. Had to see if anyone has heard of it

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I haven't heard of it before, but it sure sounds interesting. Some of our members who deal with rarer species may know more...

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I haven't heard of it before, but it sure sounds interesting. Some of our members who deal with rarer species may know more...
Right I was very intrigued about this turtle ( ok not sure if that made sense; something along the lines of what I said) lol and yes I am hoping someone will pop on and tell us more about this turtle.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Let's see... Who might know about Brahminy River turtles... or knows who might...

@HermanniChris
@harris has some fairly rare Asian species. He might be more familiar with that type of turtle.
@Yvonne G
@Markw84 keeps native North American species, but he may have some suggestions on who to ask for more information.
Yes I hope someone can enlighten us about this turtle. Thank you for adding them all to the thread. I am very interested in seeing what everyone has to say about it [emoji846]

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes, a neat and very interesting turtle. The Crowned River Turtle - Hardella thurjii with it's distinctive yellow "mustache".

They come from the rivers on both sides of Northern India. Listed as endangered now. And they do indeed lay their eggs underwater. They have developed a strategy to accommodate the extreme change in water levels seasonally as well as great predator protection for their eggs. With the monsoons of summer, the females will lay the eggs underwater in fall - a month or so before water levels recede in winter. As the water levels do drop, the nests are then on dry land for about 5 months through the dry winter months. When the waters rise again in late spring with the onset of the wetter season, the nest is again flooded, and the baby turtles emerge - already in the water. So no mad rush to find water for the hatchlings!

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Yes, a neat and very interesting turtle. The Crowned River Turtle - Hardella thurjii with it's distinctive yellow "mustache".

They come from the rivers on both sides of Northern India. Listed as endangered now. And they do indeed lay their eggs underwater. They have developed a strategy to accommodate the extreme change in water levels seasonally as well as great predator protection for their eggs. With the monsoons of summer, the females will lay the eggs underwater in fall - a month or so before water levels recede in winter. As the water levels do drop, the nests are then on dry land for about 5 months through the dry winter months. When the waters rise again in late spring with the onset of the wetter season, the nest is again flooded, and the baby turtles emerge - already in the water. So no mad rush to find water for the hatchlings!
Wow thank you very much Mark! That is very interesting. Do you have any idea if they lay hard shelled eggs then? Since they are under water for a part of the time? I haven't heard much about this turtle. Probably being as it is endangered.