Fly river turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

roscoepcole

5 Year Member
Anyone know of a fly river turtle breeder (pig nose turtle) I looking for a baby... Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We had a nice thread about them here on the forum several months ago and some very nice pictures of the breeding habitat. Try doing a "search" on the forum for fly river turtle.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
There is no such thing.......

Anyone offering small Fly Rivers are selling Illegally laundered animals........Only a few Institutions and one or two private individuals have produced captive bred offspring, and those places have been working with the animals for 20+ years.........

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
EricIvins is right, if you are in the US that is..

FRT are ridiculously hard to take care of, due to how big they get. (They get up to 22" , which is very hard to manage for an aquatic.)

It'd make since that they are available for sale and trade in Australia, where they are from. But there are several laws against having them come into the US.

Actually owning one is not illegal in any way, just very difficult to do and take care of.

They are considered "Vulnerable" on the Endangered list, and have seen a 50% decline in the past 20 years.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Fly rivers use to be available more, they get way big tho you would almost need an indoor pond or custom built tank. Not impossible but will cost ya

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Given the 22" or so they get to, that's a minimum of a 220 Gal right there.

roscoepcole

5 Year Member
The cost is not a problem and i have plenty of room..I have had turtles and tortoises since i can remember

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
You will come across them every now and then, I would set things up an wait for an opportunity

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
What Miller said. They are quite rare in the states.

Again, this is a serious commitment. They grow fast, and they get big.

jonathan512

5 Year Member
I saw an ad on kingsnake or faunaclassifieds someone was selling 2 about a month or 2 ago . Sry m8

Status
Not open for further replies.