Fly River Turtle Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyip

5 Year Member
Hi, I just want to ask for any one that has experience of keeping a fly river turtle how a aquarium set up should be? What kind substrate should use? What kind of tankmate they can be with? What level of PH should it be? Thanks for any input or idea or suggestion........

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dyip:

Welcome to the forum!!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Welcome, I have seen them in large tanks. All I can remember is they need sand for digestion. Good luck.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Oh man, my favorite turtle, every time I see a post about these guys it reminds me how much I want one lol too bad I can't properly house one. Maybe one day :)

Not sure what they go for in the USA but here I find them in the classifieds for between $500 and $700.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Fly rivers need a very large tank with pristine water quality. For a single fly river, I recommend 500 gallons. Aquariums can be used for smaller specimens, but for sub-adults and adults only stock tanks will meet their needs. This turtle does not bask, so a basking spot will not be needed. In the wild, they live in rivers with lots of underwater vegetation and debris, but lots of open swimming room as well. The best idea would be to plant Vallisneria (eelweed) all around the edges, and place a few large branches randomly in the enclosure as well. I wouldn't use rocks, they're a bit too abrasive, even the "smooth" varieties. Fly rivers need alkaline water, and a pH around 7.2-7.5. The best substrate to use would be crushed coral, they look natural and help buffer the pH. As for tankmates, since fly rivers are totally aquatic, many keepers keep big fish with them (e.g. arowanas, large plecos, pacus, etc). I wouldn't recommend big fish unless you have experience in both turtle husbandry and fish keeping. Don't keep fly rivers with each other or other turtles either. This species has a reputation for being highly aggresive to their own kind and other turtles. A solo enclosure would be best for fly rivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.