Fly River / Pig-nosed turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Does anyone or has anyone here ever kept Fly River / Pig-Nosed turtles?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
ive seen those at zoos and some pet stores for HUGE amounts of money. they are currently illegal to import (just recently).

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
A few good friends keep them, but not me personally.

What did you want to know?

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My tortoise partner wrote a paper on them. Did you have a question? I can put you in touch with him.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Danny and Yvonne

I have considered working with them through breeding loans. I just am not sure if I want to surrender the space to keep them.

I was wondering how large of an enclosure is necessary/desirable for a breeding pair. Water pH levels as well. Also, how frequently do water changes need to be made for fly rivers (I suppose that depends on the filtration system used)?

Ideally, I would rather get them when I am finished with school, but on the other hand- I don't want to lose the opportunity as well.

So right now...I am just thinking about it.....

I just try not to look at too my photos of them, otherwise I "won't think clearly". :p

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If you plan on keeping a pair together it will have to be a large tank with plenty of sight barriers as males are extremely nasty. Your much better off keeping them seperate and introducing the male to the female for breeding. They can get up to 2 feet SCL, but the average is 15 to 18 inches. Still a pretty big turtle. :D
Water changes would like you said be dependant on your filtration, but you want to keep the ammonia levels low and the ph neutral to slightly acid.

Danny

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
egyptiandan said:
If you plan on keeping a pair together it will have to be a large tank with plenty of sight barriers as males are extremely nasty. Your much better off keeping them seperate and introducing the male to the female for breeding.
Danny

Thanks Danny!

If I did get a pair, I was planning to have one of the setups big enough for two but only house the female in there. I was going to house the male in a slightly smaller setup.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
I have 2 of them but looks like I don't have to answer anything anymore :p

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I don't have any but always thought they looked really cool!

Slickturtle

5 Year Member
gummybearpoop said:

Hi GBP

I breed them so have had about 200.

Cheers

Slickturtle

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Slickturtle said:
gummybearpoop said:

Slickturtle,
I don't understand.....are you saying you have had about 200 of them?

Malaefic said:
I have 2 of them but looks like I don't have to answer anything anymore :p

Do you have pics of yours? How old are yours and what are you feeding them and keeping them in?

8P

jlyoncc1 said:
I don't have any but always thought they looked really cool!

I agree!

Shelly said:
There is a guy on Craigslist in So Cal that's selling one. Click

Thanks Shelly for looking out

Malaefic

5 Year Member
Slickturtle said:
Hi GBP

Cheers

Slickturtle

Yeah right. Even zoos have problems breeding them.
I only heard of 3 documented occassions where they bred in captivity and none of these captive bred PNTs were ever sold
Would sure love to see documentary proof from you.

Btw Gummy Bear, 1 of them for about 8 years, the other about 5 years. I'm not sure what is their age as I did not get them as a hatchling.

They're on a steady diet of Hikari Algae Wafers. I don't give them anything else. Zero health issues. Right now both of them are housed in a 5 x 2.5 x 2.75 ft tank. It's a little small for them but this is just a temp housing till the pond is ready.

Oh btw both are about 10inch in carapace length

Slickturtle

5 Year Member
Malaefic said:
Slickturtle said:
Hi GBP

Cheers

Slickturtle

Yeah right. Even zoos have problems breeding them.
I only heard of 3 documented occassions where they bred in captivity and none of these captive bred PNTs were ever sold
Would sure love to see documentary proof from you.

Btw Gummy Bear, 1 of them for about 8 years, the other about 5 years. I'm not sure what is their age as I did not get them as a hatchling.

They're on a steady diet of Hikari Algae Wafers. I don't give them anything else. Zero health issues. Right now both of them are housed in a 5 x 2.5 x 2.75 ft tank. It's a little small for them but this is just a temp housing till the pond is ready.

Oh btw both are about 10inch in carapace length

Hello Malefic

Well, you have caught me out big time. You are quite right - I haven't bred 200 Pig Noses. This was a flippant throw away statement which was just thrown 'out there' but, of course it will not be read by others as an off the cuff one liner. I won't do that again!!

So, in truth I have only bred about 50. But it seems like 200 considering the work involved in keeping them out of little turtle heaven! I am interested in your comment that you have not had problems with yours. Although in my experience it is the first 18 months that is the hard part. After that they tuffen up it seems.

Have a look at http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy90/Slickturtle/Trials and tribulations of a turtle tamer/

I have recently found out that Rottedam Zoo and New York Bronx Zoo have bred them. Rotterdam had to chemically induce the female and the Bronx only occasionally have some success.

There is also a guy in New South Wales (south of Sydney) who has bred them in a huge indoor setup. He also induces.

Cheers and I apologise for my sloppy earlier statement.

Slickturtle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Slickturtle:

I thoroughly enjoyed looking through your picture album. Thank you for posting that for us.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
For sure! Me too! I would LOVE it if you could post them all on this page. If you use the IMG tag, they will show up right on the page. To get more than the 10 or so images on the same post, I always put them all on (in this case, all 30 of yours) and then edit so that they all show up.

With your permission, I will do it, if you don't want too. I LOVED the photos! This is my FAVORITE aquatic species. Do you do tours of your facility? Where are you located? I'd love to come and meet the crew. :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's in Australia Meg :D

Awesome set-up :D How wet do you need to get a nest to get the eggs to hatch? How many days incubation before you wet them down?

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.