Brand New Babies

oneilmatt

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis, MO
Hi guys,

My female 3-Toed laid a clutch about 3 months ago. They had yet to come up, so out of curiosity I dug down and, lo and behold, found 2 live babies. Their yolk sacs are totally gone, which tells me they've been down there a while.

I soaked them in some warm water for a while and they are both pretty lively. I put them in the rubbermaid tub filled with dirt I had planned.

My question is, what should my next steps be? I need to get them food quickly, would worms be my best bet? I just don't want mess anything up here.

Thanks!

Here's a pic:
20191005_125201.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The most important thing with box turtle babies is hydration. Because they are SO tiny, they dry out inside very quickly. Keep them in a moist, humid environment with plenty of cover/leaf litter, etc. I start my babies out on finely chopped veggies, greens and fruit, and i mix it all up with canned cat food juice. I feed very little live food because I found that when I DO feed live food, they get spoiled and hold out for it. I do give them live food occasionally, but only after they've gotten used to eating their veggies and fruit.

oneilmatt

St. Louis, MO
The most important thing with box turtle babies is hydration. Because they are SO tiny, they dry out inside very quickly. Keep them in a moist, humid environment with plenty of cover/leaf litter, etc. I start my babies out on finely chopped veggies, greens and fruit, and i mix it all up with canned cat food juice. I feed very little live food because I found that when I DO feed live food, they get spoiled and hold out for it. I do give them live food occasionally, but only after they've gotten used to eating their veggies and fruit.
Thank you. So far they've buried themselves and refused food, I am warming the enclosure with my CHE now. Should I be alarmed if they just want to hide?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, that's what they do. Just dig 'em up every morning and soak 'em in warm water for about 15 minutes, then place them around the food and step quickly out of sight. You might even start out with the feeding tile right in front of the doorway to the hiding place.

oneilmatt

St. Louis, MO
No, that's what they do. Just dig 'em up every morning and soak 'em in warm water for about 15 minutes, then place them around the food and step quickly out of sight. You might even start out with the feeding tile right in front of the doorway to the hiding place.
At what point should I get worried about their lack of eating? This is 3 days in a row now they've totally ignored the food. They haven't even seemed to look at it.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hatchling box turtles will and can go for several days before eating. They need some consistency in their environment and routine in order to feel comfortable with their surroundings and start to target food items instead of being anxious about changes or motion in their surroundings.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Good luck with them! They are super cute with their big heads.

oneilmatt

St. Louis, MO
Hi everyone, so I went outside this morning to check on the adults, and noticed a 3rd baby just sitting on top of the leaves in the rain. Brought him inside and soaked him in warm water, but I noticed that one of his eyes is quite swollen. What can I do to help remedy this?

Also, they have still yet to eat for me. When should I get worried?