Brand oxbow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello
I made a lot of phone calls to find a farm or a feed store near my place. I spoke to a feed store for horses and they only have mix for horses, depending of what work my horses will do. When I told the lady it was not for a horse but for a tortoise, she told me they sell oat bags (40 kilograms) and that it was the whole long grain oat. I asked them if I could buy only a few pounds but they told me they cant do that even If I pay for the 40 kilograms. I also called a reptile vet and they told me they sell the timothy hay and oat hay in little bags, the brand they sell is Oxbow. Does anyone know if the brand is good? I would prefer to go buy in little bag because I dont want to buy the 40 kilograms for nothing, but if it is what the best for Hermy, I will have no choice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The feed store guy mis-understood what you wanted. He is trying to sell you the acutal oat seeds, not oat hay. You want to ask for oat or timothy or orchard grass or bermuda grass HAY!!

Oxbow is a good brand, however it usually sits on the shelf for such a long time that by the time you bring it home its pretty dry and brittle. You can always put a bit in a bowl of water and soften it up that way. I have discovered that the Oxbow brand is quite dirty when soaked, and the carolinapetsupply.com brand isn't so dirty.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
No no no no no horse feed! The store did not understand! They are trying to give you a grain based feed!

Ask them if they sell BALES OF GRASS HAY with NO alfalfa.

Oxbow hay is fine. What the feed store offered you is NOT what you want!

Kristina

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks Yvonne and Kristina
I called the feed store again and I asked them for the hay, they dont sell any :(. So I went to the vet and bought the oxbow one. When I got home, I washed it and I gave some to Hermy, he loves it, he even tried to eat the inside of his house (since it is the same color as the hay :D).I will go to the USA soon, I will order the hay from carolina pet supply. Until then, I will give him the oxbow hay on his food everyday :D

pebbles mom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sussex, WI
Are Hermann's suppose to be eating hay? I didn't think that was on the their list of goodies. Or is that a optional thing?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Hay is high in fiber and low in protein, and is more natural to them than any grocery greens that they eat. In the wild they eat a variety of weeds, flowers, and plant stalks, and grass hay falls under that category :) Many tortoises should eat a diet based either on grasses or broadleafed weeds.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.