Pellet Diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
I noticed around here a lot of people are feeding their tortoises Mazuri brand tortoise diet. I was surprised, because I was under the impression that pellet diets were not appropriate being fed in such large quantities, because of the high grain and Omega 6 fatty acid count.

Looking at Mazuri, there seems to be, as I suspected, a high grain count (first ingredient is ground soybean hulls, then ground corn right after!) And yet loads of people feed it with no problem? I DO feed my tortoises a pelleted food from time to time but its Zoomed's Forest Tortoise diet (which first ingredients are Oat Hay and Timothy hay).

So is there something I'm missing about Mazuri? It seems to be loads popular here than any other pellet diet. I am always looking to improve my tortoise's diet. I don't feed a pellet diet every day (maybe once every 1-2 weeks for variety/bulker) and could use some input. Which do you think is the best pellet diet? How often can it be fed?

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
Once every 1-2 weeks? What difference does it make then? There are many threads on this subject. Read them, and make up your own mind. To me, it sounds like you've already made up your mind and want us to convince you otherwise.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
There are many outdated reports and controversy about pellet diets.
Many zoos and forum members here feed either zoomed or muzuri or both, With great results.

Look at all the old outdated info saying keep ur tortoise on pellets, dry, no commercial food, and only feed dark leafy greens
look at the outcome of that info many pyramided torts.

As long as your feeding muzuri with a varied diet, your tort will be nice and healthy.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
@Yagy: Sorry for being new on here and not knowing how things work, and just trying to get others' opinions on pellet diets and offering frequency. Sheesh.

Forget about this topic then, I guess. =/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Everyone has bad days... don't let it put you off.

Some owners feed pellets all the time, some supplement. I find pellets handy for the winter months when a wide variety of weeds and greens are harder to come by. (Mazuri isn't a brand easily available in Europe, I use Komodo)

Mazuri's makers wouldn't market the product to zoos and animal owners around the world unless they were convinced of its safety.

My preference for a fresh diet is just that, a preference. However, I'm not averse to occasional pellet feeds.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
No reason to get all hurt feelings. I simply mean that this subject has been the topic of many, many threads here. If you use the Search button, everything you'd like to know has been answered. People don't mind answering again, though. And also, if you're using such a tiny amount, I don't believe there is much difference what you feed.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use Mazuri as a supplement for protein and any other holes that could be in the diet. This translates to me feeding it about once every 2-4 weeks.

I use Zoo Med Forest Tortoise diet much the same way, but am more apt to provide this in the winter for additional fiber (the grocery store greens just don't cut it!), so they receive this about once/week. I also prefer this diet because it's composed of dried plant materials, it's a bit more natural than the processed grain style of Mazuri (according to me).

So yes, I use both sparingly and I haven't seen any issues nor do I see any problems with their use.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
During The Winter season i offer it 3-5 times a week.
During the Summer i offer it 2-3 times a week, you can mix it in your greens, or serve the muzuri with moisten hay, grass, etc.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lunartwist said:
@Yagy: Sorry for being new on here and not knowing how things work, and just trying to get others' opinions on pellet diets and offering frequency. Sheesh.

No, you have questions ask them. Never let anybody cause you to doubt the right to ask them.

Okay for me, I am not a huge fan of the pelleted diets myself. I have started doing some experimenting with adding a little to some of the tortoises diets. I am looking at it as I would just another type of weed or green. Something to do in limited amounts and as part of a variety of foods.

To me personally, the simple fact that zoos use it, does in no way impress me. I have saw some pretty bad diets at zoos and some pretty sorry looking tortoises. Also zoos do have to with limited budgets and personnel take care of all those animals. No doubt about it, pelleted food is faster and cheaper then buying and preparing greens. :(

Another big point with me is this, especially in captivity, food is just not for nutritional needs or filling an animal's stomach. Food needs to help stimulate the animal, have him use muscles, and such. These pellets do not have them ripping or tearing food. It's moist so not helping to control beak growth.

I am very interested to see what the long range future is for animals and their offspring raised exclusively on these pellets. For me, for now, I use it sparingly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have started mixing in a handful of moistened Mazuri pellets into my chopped up weeds and greens for the baby tortoises. I also grate carrots and squash into the mix. But its mostly weeds and Santa Barbara mix lettuces. I have to say that the baby SA leopards leave absolutely NOTHING on their feeding station, while the baby babcock leopards, the baby desert tortoises and the baby Manouria usually leave the Mazuri and the carrots.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Jacqui said:
Lunartwist said:

No, you have questions ask them. Never let anybody cause you to doubt the right to ask them.

Okay for me, I am not a huge fan of the pelleted diets myself. I have started doing some experimenting with adding a little to some of the tortoises diets. I am looking at it as I would just another type of weed or green. Something to do in limited amounts and as part of a variety of foods.

To me personally, the simple fact that zoos use it, does in no way impress me. I have saw some pretty bad diets at zoos and some pretty sorry looking tortoises. Also zoos do have to with limited budgets and personnel take care of all those animals. No doubt about it, pelleted food is faster and cheaper then buying and preparing greens. :(

Another big point with me is this, especially in captivity, food is just not for nutritional needs or filling an animal's stomach. Food needs to help stimulate the animal, have him use muscles, and such. These pellets do not have them ripping or tearing food. It's moist so not helping to control beak growth.

I am very interested to see what the long range future is for animals and their offspring raised exclusively on these pellets. For me, for now, I use it sparingly.

I tend to agree with you Jacqui. When I bought both Mazuri and the Zoo Med Forest diets, 3/4 of both went into the freezer.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Jacqui said:
Lunartwist said:

I agree 100% with Jacqui's viewpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.