Contradicting Dietary Needs

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hey everyone,

Since I've had Squash for 3 months, I've been doing a ton of research on proper diets for red-foots. Many websites say the standard red-foot diet should center around leafy greens. Other websites say they should have a high fiber diet. I've done my part to implement both, but I have not successfully found the balance.

Correct me if I am wrong, in my head red-foots aren't the grazer species that the sulcatas / Mediterranean species are. I would expect that leafy greens would make up a larger portion of a red-foot's diet. For this reason, I do typically use more leafy greens than things like timothy hay and other high-fiber plants.

However, when I look at my zoomed forest tortoise pellet mix, their priority says "high-fiber." Plus the varying information on many websites--what is the right balance? As of now, Squash prefers leafy greens to the fiber mix and it has been a challenge to get him/her to eat (any) pellets.

I'm reluctant to try that Mazuri pellet diet that is so popular. Where does it fit into the diet of your tortoise?

Thanks everyone :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey everyone,

Since I've had Squash for 3 months, I've been doing a ton of research on proper diets for red-foots. Many websites say the standard red-foot diet should center around leafy greens. Other websites say they should have a high fiber diet. I've done my part to implement both, but I have not successfully found the balance.

Correct me if I am wrong, in my head red-foots aren't the grazer species that the sulcatas / Mediterranean species are. I would expect that leafy greens would make up a larger portion of a red-foot's diet. For this reason, I do typically use more leafy greens than things like timothy hay and other high-fiber plants.

However, when I look at my zoomed forest tortoise pellet mix, their priority says "high-fiber." Plus the varying information on many websites--what is the right balance? As of now, Squash prefers leafy greens to the fiber mix and it has been a challenge to get him/her to eat (any) pellets.

I'm reluctant to try that Mazuri pellet diet that is so popular. Where does it fit into the diet of your tortoise?

Thanks everyone :)
Redfoots are not naturally grazes of grass and hay. Although I have seen some of mine occasionally nibble on the grass.
It is very confusing as to what ratios to feed reds and there are conflicting opinions out there. They eat greens,fruit,flowers and protein.
I feed mine (I'll try and remember absolutely everything I've ever fed)
Grape vine leaves, strawberry leaves, BlackBerry leaves, raspberry leaves, dandilion leaves and flowers, clover, plantain, broadleaf plantain, sow thistle, thistle, romaine lettuce, spring greens, rocket, spinach,mustard greens,red cabbage, Savoy cabbage,carrot greens,turnip greens, geranium flowers, hibiscus flowers.
Papaya, banana, plums, melon, mango, cherries, strawberries, apple, pear, kiwi, blackberry's, Raspberry's, grapes:eek:, figs, cucumber, tomato, pineapple, pumpkin, corn on the cob,mushrooms, cuttle fish.
Worms, pinkies, boiled egg, cat biscuits, cat food, cooked chicken, raw liver, Mice. Scrambled egg.

I've stopped feeding cat biscuits and I always give them the shell of eggs.

There will be more, just tired at the moment.

Now the ratios are debatable. So I'm just going to say what i think is the general average of what I think others say.
Greens 60% to 70%
fruit 10% to 20%
Protein 5% to 10%.

I was hoping to hear what others feed too.

I'm a lot more strict with my juveniles, for example, no grapes,mice,liver and egg shell is crumbled almost to a dust and mixed in.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Redfoots are not naturally grazes of grass and hay. Although I have seen some of mine occasionally nibble on the grass.
It is very confusing as to what ratios to feed reds and there are conflicting opinions out there. They eat greens,fruit,flowers and protein.
I feed mine (I'll try and remember absolutely everything I've ever fed)
Grape vine leaves, strawberry leaves, BlackBerry leaves, raspberry leaves, dandilion leaves and flowers, clover, plantain, broadleaf plantain, sow thistle, thistle, romaine lettuce, spring greens, rocket, spinach,mustard greens,red cabbage, Savoy cabbage,carrot greens,turnip greens, geranium flowers, hibiscus flowers.
Papaya, banana, plums, melon, mango, cherries, strawberries, apple, pear, kiwi, blackberry's, Raspberry's, grapes:eek:, figs, cucumber, tomato, pineapple, pumpkin, corn on the cob,mushrooms, cuttle fish.
Worms, pinkies, boiled egg, cat biscuits, cat food, cooked chicken, raw liver, Mice. Scrambled egg.

I've stopped feeding cat biscuits and I always give them the shell of eggs.

There will be more, just tired at the moment.

Now the ratios are debatable. So I'm just going to say what i think is the general average of what I think others say.
Greens 60% to 70%
fruit 10% to 20%
Protein 5% to 10%.

I was hoping to hear what others feed too.

I'm a lot more strict with my juveniles, for example, no grapes,mice,liver and egg shell is crumbled almost to a dust and mixed in.
Forgot to add, the bulk of my food is weeds,
No shortage of weeds in this wet country. Lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So no incorporation of any high-fiber plants except maybe in some corn on the cob?
They get fibre from weeds and also fruit as fibre in it. But don't over do fruit because its also high in sugar. You don't want a fat Tortoise. :D

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
At the bottom of every TFO window are links to other associated web pages, one of them being "Tortoise Library" Check it out as Madkins007 has done a good job of pulling together the diet of wild redfoots which might be a good starting point. Also keep in mind they have a giant range over many biotypes, so there is no one best diet, unless you really really know the source (as in the wild) that your tortoises are from or descendents of.

There are pretty well detailed observations of wild redfoots diets out there.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
At the bottom of every TFO window are links to other associated web pages, one of them being "Tortoise Library" Check it out as Madkins007 has done a good job of pulling together the diet of wild redfoots which might be a good starting point. Also keep in mind they have a giant range over many biotypes, so there is no one best diet, unless you really really know the source (as in the wild) that your tortoises are from or descendents of.

Hi @Will . I just read some of the link you put in above for destortoise. This looks to me like one of best recourses for redfoot care out there. I need to read it all when i get home tonight. You have yet again inadvertently educated me.lol. Do you know if I can feed bayleafs? I have a bayleaf tree in the garden that grows at an immense rate.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
It has been suggested to me that in nature a lot of Redfoot eat primarily fallen fruit and that they should be fed a higher percentage of things like dates, etc.
However, here is my feeding chart. (Give or take.)
10% Mazuri tortoise chow. softened and often mixed with other things. 10% Items such as boiled egg. Whole. Crushed and sweet potato. 10% animal protein. I feed beef heart. I use that because I always have some on hand for other pets. 20% fruit items and 50% fresh greens and hibiscus.
They all live outdoors and they actually do graze when things that they like are growing.
They are very adaptable and willing to eat just about anything.

destortoise

VA and WA

This is some great information! Haven't finished yet, but I will get to it--thank you so much @Will !

And @Anyfoot , I totally agree with you. Who knew that this archive of information was right at the bottom of our screens :D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
This is some great information! Haven't finished yet, but I will get to it--thank you so much @Will !

And @Anyfoot , I totally agree with you. Who knew that this archive of information was right at the bottom of our screens :D
Huh, I've been here a year and only just noticed them. :mad:. :D:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi @Will . I just read some of the link you put in above for destortoise. This looks to me like one of best recourses for redfoot care out there. I need to read it all when i get home tonight. You have yet again inadvertently educated me.lol. Do you know if I can feed bayleafs? I have a bayleaf tree in the garden that grows at an immense rate.

If I'm remembering correctly, Bay Leaf is a type of eucalyptus. (???????) It's good for keeping little bugs out of the habitat, but I doubt it's a good food item.

Looks like I'm wrong. I just found this online:

"Bay laurel (Laurus nobilis, Lauraceae). Fresh or driedbay leaves are used in cooking for their distinctive flavor and fragrance. The leaves are not meant to be eaten, although it is safe to do so. The leaves are often used to flavor soups, stews, braises and pâtés in Mediterranean cuisine."

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
On the Bay leaf. I believe that if they eat it as a stand alone item they are going to not consume it as if mixed in and maybe eat something not optimal. I wouldn't mix it into an already accepted salad. Wait and see if they like it alone. I've eaten bay leaves they have a very strong flavor.

It's native to the Mediterranean, maybe testudo would eat it???? Red foots, I don't know. I've not had red foots other than transients on their way to other collections.