Russian Diet??

Squirtle's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Pacific Northwest
Ive had my russian for a little over three years, Ive been under the impression that most types of leafy greens are the way to go but recently he's had some problems that are probably linked to too much calcium/his diet. The vet suggested i move to a spring mix but other sources say to avoid these. typically i give him kale but again, too much calcium. any one know of a good bag mix i can buy to get a balanced diet or at least a few types of overall good leafy greens to take most of the diet?

Bambam1989

East Texas
If you MUST use store bought greens, try using some of these to add more variety
Bok choy
Swiss chard
Arugula/rocket
Artichoke (the entire plant is edible)
Fresh basil
Fresh cilantro
Fresh Dill
Escarole
Nopales (these are just Opuntia cactus pads)
Turnip greens
Others can probably suggest even more.
Have you considered getting some Mazuri Tortoise Food Original. It's a good food to add to the diet a couple times a week.
Do you have any area that you can grow a garden? Or perhaps harvest your own weeds?

Squirtle's mom

Pacific Northwest
If you MUST use store bought greens, try using some of these to add more variety
Bok choy
Swiss chard
Arugula/rocket
Artichoke (the entire plant is edible)
Fresh basil
Fresh cilantro
Fresh Dill
Escarole
Nopales (these are just Opuntia cactus pads)
Turnip greens
Others can probably suggest even more.
Have you considered getting some Mazuri Tortoise Food Original. It's a good food to add to the diet a couple times a week.
Do you have any area that you can grow a garden? Or perhaps harvest your own weeds?

I do use this one thing called ‘natural grassland tortoise food’ which are like dry pellets that you add water to. I like the idea of growing food but the amount he eats compared to how much is actually in the plant tend to conflict (we used to grow kale but we had to start buying leaves bc we would have taken all of its leaves). I do feed him dandelions but they don’t really start growing until about this time so I’m going to definitely start adding those in. Do you know of any other weeds/plants I can find in my own backyard? I once read something about tree leaves but it didn’t sound quite right

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I've never heard about any problems linked to too much calcium in plants. What symptoms does he have?
Most weeds/food plants usually recommended for tortoises are high in calcium. :confused:

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Kale isn’t high in calcium, it’s high in oxalates that block calcium absorption.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ive had my russian for a little over three years, Ive been under the impression that most types of leafy greens are the way to go but recently he's had some problems that are probably linked to too much calcium/his diet. The vet suggested i move to a spring mix but other sources say to avoid these. typically i give him kale but again, too much calcium. any one know of a good bag mix i can buy to get a balanced diet or at least a few types of overall good leafy greens to take most of the diet?
I explained in your other thread that your problem was due to a lack of water, not excessive calcium. Your vet is wrong.

These are the things your tortoise should be eating, not grocery store greens or mixes:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
any one know of a good bag mix i can buy to get a balanced diet or at least a few types of overall good leafy greens to take most of the diet?

I’m with Tom on the variety of foods available to you; and if he says hydration is the problem, he’s right.

If you are anxious to buy a bag of “something” at the store, the “Santa Barbara” mix from Ready Pac contains only “good” chicories. Ready Pac is sold in a ton of grocery stores; hopefully one near you. But it’s definitely not all he should be eating.

If you tell us more specifically where you live and what kinds of grocery stores/farmers markets are near you, we can probably add some options to include when weeds aren’t growing. For example, I would expect larger cities in your area to have a sizeable Asian population, which means Asiaan grocery stores. Any Latino market or an Indian market. You might not realize they’re around; just Google “Asian grocery store” and the like. A Whole Foods has some broader options. Etc.

You can try growing a squash (any kind). They are great food; usually cheap and easy to obtain; and when they die you can buy another one for $1.59.

Squirtle's mom

Pacific Northwest
I’m with Tom on the variety of foods available to you; and if he says hydration is the problem, he’s right.

If you are anxious to buy a bag of “something” at the store, the “Santa Barbara” mix from Ready Pac contains only “good” chicories. Ready Pac is sold in a ton of grocery stores; hopefully one near you. But it’s definitely not all he should be eating.

If you tell us more specifically where you live and what kinds of grocery stores/farmers markets are near you, we can probably add some options to include when weeds aren’t growing. For example, I would expect larger cities in your area to have a sizeable Asian population, which means Asiaan grocery stores. Any Latino market or an Indian market. You might not realize they’re around; just Google “Asian grocery store” and the like. A Whole Foods has some broader options. Etc.

You can try growing a squash (any kind). They are great food; usually cheap and easy to obtain; and when they die you can buy another one for $1.59.

I live in the more northern pacific northwest, so unless I do inside growing those plants wont make it all year. the main big stores I have around is Safeway, Walmart, and I believe a whole foods somewhere. I do live in a bit of a hippie area, so I know of at least 2 'all natural' stores (one of which is pretty good but small on selection). Theres also a farmers market that I *think* is all year round (unsure of where but near enough). I'll ask my parents for a ride to the farmers market and try to find some squash and other things on these lists (when you say squash, does that include the meat and rind or just the squash leaves??) also do you think I'll be able to obtain some of the more abstract options on these list at the market too or should I be looking for the seeds too (like hibiscus and Mulberry)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mulberry trees grow everywhere in this country. You just have to find one near you for seasonal leaves. The owner of the tree will probably be thrilled to have you come occasionally prune a branch off the tree. They grow like bad weeds! There are literally thousands of grape vine varieties. At least a few of them will do well in your climate. All of them go dormant in winter, and come back every spring.

If you must use grocery store foods for part of the year (I think most of us do…), favor endive and escarole as your staples. Those are the most "weed" like of the grocery store foods. Use lots of other things too like kale, collard, mustard, and turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops, celery tops, bok choy, etc… The thing is with these grocery store foods is that they ought to be "amended" with something to add some fiber. You can get grass hay horse cubes, chopped grass hay, ZooMed Grassland tortoise chow, herbal hay, del fresh grass, and other stuff to put some much needed fiber into these foods. Just soak and rehydrate a small amount of your "amendment" and mix it in with the day's green each day.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I believe a whole foods somewhere.

You can check at your hippie store or your Whole Foods for what they label as “dandelions.” They aren’t the true dandelion you find in your yard but they are a close relative. All of your grocery stores sell radishes, you can feed the tops. Some of them will sell turnips with the greens still attached and you can feed those. Whole Foods or the hippie store might sell the turnip tops by themselves.

Theres also a farmers market that I *think* is all year round (unsure of where but near enough). I'll ask my parents for a ride to the farmers market and try to find some squash and other things on these lists also do you think I'll be able to obtain some of the more abstract options on these list at the market too or should I be looking for the seeds too (like hibiscus and Mulberry)

Your farmers market is going to be great...or not so great. I have access to a market with all kinds of Asian and Indian vegetables that many of us wouldn’t think of. There is a thread pinned to the top of the diet subforum, called “The Tortoise Chef.” There are a lot of posts in there, with all kinds of foods people feed. Near the top are a couple of links to market trips I’ve made and foods I’ve found there, check it before you go. I’ve got a real jackpot here; yours may be very different but it’s worth a try. If you have time, read the whole thread, you’ll see all kinds of foods come up.

You’ll also find a pinned thread up there for plant identification. When you find a weed in your yard take a couple of pictures: one of the entire plant; a close up of the leaves; any flowers it has. Users will give you feedback on what the weed is and whether it’s safe.

(when you say squash, does that include the meat and rind or just the squash leaves??)

I mean mostly the leaves and stems of the squash vine; sometimes the flowers. They can have the fruit, rind and all, now and again. You can also try a cucumber or melon, they’re all fine.

I’m not sure how well how hibiscus will grow in your area. In hot weather you can try growing okra. It’s a close relative of hibiscus and it’s easier to find the seeds. You feed the leaves; on occasion they can have the okra vegetables themselves.

Salspi

Chicago
Mulberry trees grow everywhere in this country. You just have to find one near you for seasonal leaves. The owner of the tree will probably be thrilled to have you come occasionally prune a branch off the tree. They grow like bad weeds! There are literally thousands of grape vine varieties. At least a few of them will do well in your climate. All of them go dormant in winter, and come back every spring.

If you must use grocery store foods for part of the year (I think most of us do…), favor endive and escarole as your staples. Those are the most "weed" like of the grocery store foods. Use lots of other things too like kale, collard, mustard, and turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops, celery tops, bok choy, etc… The thing is with these grocery store foods is that they ought to be "amended" with something to add some fiber. You can get grass hay horse cubes, chopped grass hay, ZooMed Grassland tortoise chow, herbal hay, del fresh grass, and other stuff to put some much needed fiber into these foods. Just soak and rehydrate a small amount of your "amendment" and mix it in with the day's green each day.

Can frisée also be a seasonal staple food for those of us who live in the wintery parts of the country?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can frisée also be a seasonal staple food for those of us who live in the wintery parts of the country?
I didn't know what that was, so I looked it up. Apparently its a form of endive, so as far as I know, it should be good. SInce I've never used it, I can't speak from first hand experience.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA

Yes. I sometimes feed it in the summer because it holds up to heat. For example I just left a head of it with the housesitter for vacation and she just tossed a handful out in the morning. (No winter feeding problems here; it’s never very cold.) I also like it because it lasts quite a long time; I often have a head of it in the fridge for days when my husband is feeding or we’re just super busy.

Frisee is in the chicory family; cultivated chicories include frisee, endive, escarole, radicchio, curly endive. You may even find something labled “dandelion” at the grocery store. That’s not a true dandelion but it’s related and is another safe chicory.

Since you only have the one tortoise it’s okay to buy one knd of these at a time to feed; they don’t have to be fed all at once.

The Santa Barbara mix I mentioned above contains only escarole, endive and radicchio. No fillers, so to speak. :)