Leopard tortoise diet.

Antoni

Hey all, im raising 3 beautiful sullys about 3-4 months old, all active, eating, pooping, bathing everyday. So ive been feeding it spring mixes, baby romain, turnip greens, collard greens, mazuri 3x a week calcium supplement along with mazuri. Reason ive been feeding it leafy greens is because that’s what they’re use to according to the breeder. I tried feeding grass, they nibble but not really eat. Is it possible that the grass itself is still tough? Also i know they require a high fiber diet are the leafy greens enough as far as fiber? So far everything is going great but it doesnt hurt to get a second opinion from more experienced handlers. Ive been doing research and i saw people recommending hay, is it necessary for me to get that for them at their age? Or can i stay with this diet till they’re older?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm confused. . . your subject refers to leopard tortoises, but the body of the post refers to "sullys", which I take to mean sulcatas???

Baby sulcatas really don't eat grass or hay until they're a bit bigger. I generally cut some fresh grass into small pieces with scissors and add it to their weeds and greens.

Also, while leopards DO eat grass, they really prefer broad-leaf plants and weeds.

Antoni

I'm confused. . . your subject refers to leopard tortoises, but the body of the post refers to "sullys", which I take to mean sulcatas???

Baby sulcatas really don't eat grass or hay until they're a bit bigger. I generally cut some fresh grass into small pieces with scissors and add it to their weeds and greens.

Also, while leopards DO eat grass, they really prefer broad-leaf plants and weeds.
Sorry they are leopards. Dunno why i typed sully. Thank you