Mazuri diet difference/types?

Cottons

Location (City and/or State)
HK
I recently purchased two packets of mazuri diet for my Russian and hermann’s tortoise. The pet store staff recommended a different type of pellet (5E5L tortoise LS diet) and mentioned that the regular grape sized ones (5M21) is not ideal for daily feedings, should only be fed a few times a week.
I began to feed my tortoises the new diet, while the Russian loved it, the Hermann’s refused to touch it. I also noticed that my Russian began to pass urates nearly twice or more in a week. Is that related to the change of diet? Should I consider going back to the original diet? Please help:)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Both diets are good for tortoises. Neither diet should be fed to a tortoise every day. These are good "supplemental" foods to be offered with, or in addition to, a good varied diet of broadleaf weeds, leaves, and leafy greens. These Mazuri diets are not a substitute for real food.

Urate formation is the result of protein digestion and a lack of hydration. Lower the protein content of the diet, or raise the hydration level of the tortoise, and you should see the urates taper off. Soak the tortoise daily for a while, wet the greens before feeding, and be sure to maintain damp substrate, moderate humidity, and offer a humid hide to the tortoises.