Different Hays,

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
I use timothy, orchard and also oat hay for a couple of my pets and was wondering if any or all would be good if i chopped them up to add to their food? It is hard during the winter here to have other than supermarket greens.

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I spread timothy hay all over my enclosure. The tortoises I have love grazing on the hay to get a little something in there bellies. It's also good for them. :)
I don't add it to the food I give them because they already can eat it whenever they want to. Just make sure you add new hay every 3-4 days, and you might want to change out all the hay every 2 weeks.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
You will definitely get better results adding chopped hay to your diets! I mix orchard and alfalfa...and they love it! Forget all that crap you hear about alfalfa being too high in protein...it's not! Protein is what accelerates growth! Just make sure they have constant access to water!

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Not for the cherry head...Not that it will hurt them, but its really not the best diet choice. Why fill them up on a "filler" when you can feed them more highly nutritious food?
So, yes you can, no you should not.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
RedfootsRule said:
Not for the cherry head...Not that it will hurt them, but its really not the best diet choice. Why fill them up on a "filler" when you can feed them more highly nutritious food?

Of course, you're right! I presumed that anyone using hay keeps either grassland or desert tortoises. Your cherry head can thrive on a fruit plate...and pinky mice ;)

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
DeanS said:
RedfootsRule said:

Of course, you're right! I presumed that anyone using hay keeps either grassland or desert tortoises. Your redfoot can thrive on a fruit plate...and pinky mice ;)

Yeah, I read his post and started to respond thinking he owned a sulcata. Then I checked his signature =0....
Now what about the russian? Thats one species I've never ever even read about...I'd assume since they are testudo they are high-fiber....

Status
Not open for further replies.