Break in brumation

jasmin1

Location (City and/or State)
France
Hi all.
Ok I know this is a while away but I need to make sure I know all the pro's and con's now so I can make an informed decision.

Ok predicament..
For 3 weeks in the middle of brumation her lady ship has to be moved. We are moving house, just 15 mins away.
So questions.
1. How long can a tortoise be out of the fridge, in a cool bag? while being moved.... will it be too disturbing and bring them out of brumation.?
Is it something can can be considered an option?
2. Or Do you recommend trying to keep her awake until she can brumate at a later date..( poss difficult as she is non negotiable sometimes!)
any suggestions and advice will be thankfully recieved
Many thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all.
Ok I know this is a while away but I need to make sure I know all the pro's and con's now so I can make an informed decision.

Ok predicament..
For 3 weeks in the middle of brumation her lady ship has to be moved. We are moving house, just 15 mins away.
So questions.
1. How long can a tortoise be out of the fridge, in a cool bag? while being moved.... will it be too disturbing and bring them out of brumation.?
Is it something can can be considered an option?
2. Or Do you recommend trying to keep her awake until she can brumate at a later date..( poss difficult as she is non negotiable sometimes!)
any suggestions and advice will be thankfully recieved
Many thanks
I've never moved one during brumation, so I am simply speculating based on what I've seen over the years. If you can keep the temps cold and keep it dark, I don't think a 15 minute drive will be a big deal. The tortoise may stir a bit, but should go back to "sleep" once the ride is over and its cold, dark, and quiet again. If for some reason the tortoise refuses to settle back down, you could always end brumation prematurely and get the tortoise back up, warm and eating again for the duration of winter. Effectively, it would be sort of a "mini" brumation if it were to go that way.

Alternatively, option number two could also work.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
unless you live in the southern hemisphere? i can't think of anywhere where a temperate tortoise would be hibernating mid june ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
unless you live in the southern hemisphere? i can't think of anywhere where a temperate tortoise would be hibernating mid june ?
Please re-read the second sentence of post #1 sir.

jasmin1

France
Hi
This would be December, but I need to look ahead now so I have time to consider the different options
thanks