Breakfast in bed

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Levi the leopard tortoise gets breakfast in bed today....and on many of these cold winter days.

It was foggy this morning and only 37°F. So, I opened his door (as always) and placed a pile of spring mix inside his house. When he wakes up, he'll be able to eat his meal while enjoying temperatures in the mid 80s. Not a bad life, ehh? ;)

But even Oregon winter has some sunny days, so keeping his door open let's him come out to graze as he pleases ;)

0215150902.jpg 0215150904b.jpg 0209151215a-1.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I assume there are days he is not able to come out and graze right? Do you have a basking light in his house for those days?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I assume there are days he is not able to come out and graze right? Do you have a basking light in his house for those days?

yes, there are days, sometimes a few in a row when doesn't come out of his house. But no, he doesn't have a basking light inside the house. No uv lights either. It's just the mini oil filled radiator on a thermostat see to 80F.. But I did turn it up slightly this winter so he averages 85F.

Douglas Yardley

Chili, my 20-yr.old Red-foot, only goes outside when it's over 20 Celsius or about 70 F. In winter she has the run of my 1-bdrm townhouse which has its own furnace & thermostat. She does seem to enjoy walkies outside and is not frightened of the local dogs or cats.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Nice. I have to force Hal out of his house on sunny warm days. He won't come out on his own even If its 75...... He's super lazy.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Watching winter time basking is my favorite. Chuck, my sulcata, finds a South facing wall to sit next to for serious basking time. When I check the temp of that wall it is usually 20 degrees warmer than to ground temp.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great pics. I bet Levi is wondering what did happen to his warm days though. I don't think Tatum would come out either. He is quite the lazy one. In the summer months I have to kick him out of the shed and shut his door otherwise he will go right back in. Such a turd. I move to give him a bigger yard and he wants to stay inside, he's a whimp:D. Nice to see Levi is getting out when it's sunny:)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I know Washington has not even had winter. We had fall that is turning into spring already. I am really excited to get my guys outside 24/7 soon. I suspect mine will be the lazy type. Levi is great, so I am hoping they will be more like that.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
So far, yes! ..... But a friend did scare me today when she mentioned this has been a mild winter! :gasp:

it's been a VERY mild winter but even with that said we're not like the "typical" oregon weather we don't get as much snow or rain as some other area's do and that's when we get snow.

Levi is looking really good

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
it's been a VERY mild winter but even with that said we're not like the "typical" oregon weather we don't get as much snow or rain as some other area's do and that's when we get snow.

Levi is looking really good
You'll have to come see him again sometime....in spring when things are pretty!